PDA

View Full Version : Article On Vince's Mum/Mom

Dangerous Incorporated
10-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Mom's Link To Fame A Gift To Ebensburg

When Vicki Askew moved to Ebensburg from Florida eight years ago, she had no idea what kind of impact she and her family would have on the community.

The 86-year-old tennis athlete lived in Pembroke Pines, Fla., before accompanying her husband, Harold Askew, to Cambria County to be closer to his family.

One of Askew’s two sons is World Wrestling Entertainment co-founder Vince McMahon, who’s known for his flamboyant and confrontational TV persona.

And if she wasn’t a local celebrity before, a recent gift from McMahon has certainly made her one.

The arrival of the Askews to town brought Vicki Askew to the local Women’s Club, and Harold to Ebensburg Borough Council for almost two full terms.

“We both got involved in the community immediately,” she said. Her love of tennis took her to local courts – and on treacherous drives in Pennsylvania winters to the Blair Racquet Club in Altoona.

“My husband was concerned about me driving on snowy, icy roads,” Askew said. “He called my son and made him feel sorry for me. He asked, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice to have an indoor tennis facility nearer?’ ”

McMahon wasted no time giving his mother an early Mother’s Day gift.

The founder of World Wrestling Entertainment is paying for a $2.5 million indoor-outdoor tennis center in honor of his mother. The Ebensburg facility is expected to open within seven months.

And that’s good for Askew, who has been a tennis buff since she took to the courts 36 years ago.

“I’m 86 and I still play,” Askew said. “I learned sandlot tennis when I was 50 with a girlfriend.”

Askew took up the sport after retiring as executive director of the Chamber of Commerce in Pembroke Pines, a community between Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

“When I retired, I met a group of younger girls and learned to play,” Askew recalled. “I joined the Broward County league and played until we moved (to Ebensburg).”

Described as a “natural athlete,” Askew played three times a week until just recently. This summer, she has played “only”’ once per week.

Next week, Askew will undergo knee replacement surgery.

“I can’t move as fast as I used to,” Askew said. “Hopefully, this surgery will be helpful and I’ll be much better than I am now.

“My goal is to be completely rehabilitated when the new facility opens.”

Askew says tennis is a “wonderful mental and physical game” – one that she does not share with her husband of 42 years.

“His hobbies are politics and computers,” she said. Harold Askew has an accounting degree from the University of Miami, and was employed as an auditor for many years.

He also was a commissioner and vice mayor of Pembroke Pines before moving to Ebensburg.

Originally from Southern Pines near Raleigh, N.C., Askew said she has enjoyed her years on Spruce Street in Ebensburg, despite the cold, snowy winters.

“This is Harold’s hometown, and I like the community, too,” she said.

Askew remains humble, though she has gained newfound fame as the reason behind the new tennis facility..

“I’m deeply honored and humbled by (Vince’s) gift,” Askew said. “We think the facility will do well, and we are all keeping him informed about how the construction is going.”

Source: http://www.tribune-democrat.com/local/local_story_281234643.html?keyword=topstory