PDA

View Full Version : The Rock Grants Wish

Dangerous Incorporated
10-09-2006, 03:25 PM
The Rock Grants Wish

He knows his moves. He knows his movies. And now he knows him.

Bolivar Middle School student Gary Jackson met Dwayne Johnson, also known as "The Rock," during a trip to Hollywood, Calif., last month sponsored by the Make-A-Wish foundation.

Jackson, who was diagnosed last year with a low-grade Glimoa tumor, met Johnson during the premiere of his new movie, The Gridiron Gang, Sept. 5.

Jackson has followed Johnson's career from the small screen and World Wrestling Entertainment to the big screen. As a first-grader, Jackson began collecting "The Rock" memorabilia and videos. When Johnson made the move to the big screen, Jackson continued to follow his career.

"I have seen all of his movies," Jackson said. "(Gridiron Gang) is the best one. It really shows who he is."

During the premiere at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Johnson got on stage and introduced Jackson along with the other seven Make-A-Wish families.

"He really made it about the kids," Jackson's mother, Linda Perkins, said.

After the premiere, the families attended an "after-party" dinner where Johnson spent time talking with each child.

"He is just a regular guy," Jackson said. "He just sat around and talked with us. He is really funny."

During Jackson's three-day trip to California, he also visited the aquarium in Long Beach Harbor and walked along the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

All expenses for the trip were paid for and arranged by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Missouri, assisted by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Los Angeles.

A regular kid

Despite having multiple brain surgeries and being on chemotherapy, Jackson is just a regular kid. He plays golf, watches movies, hangs out with his friends and teases his mom. He has several pets including two pythons.

But he does have his bad days. On his bad days, Jackson struggles with fatigue, muscle soreness, dizziness and headaches.

"Its either a good day or a bad day," Jackson said. "If I make it through the entire day at school, it is a good day."

Before his diagnosis, Jackson would have terrible headaches causing him to sleep for six to eight hours at a time, his mom recalls.

"My eyes would just close on me," Jackson said.

When the headaches continued, Perkins knew they were more than migraines. The family ended up at Children's Mercy in Kansas City where an MRI revealed a benign tumor in the middle of his brain.

The mass caused his brain to swell and be pushed up against his skull. A shunt was inserted to begin draining some of the fluid - relieving some of the pressure. He started chemotherapy and will begin another round this month.

"Hopefully we will be done with this next round," Perkins said.

Source: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1815&dept_id=59849&newsid=17292818&PAG=461&rfi=9