PDA

View Full Version : The Rock Offers Advice To Dakota Kai

Kemo
06-04-2018, 06:18 PM
In an interview with WWE.com, NXT Superstar Dakota Kai recently mentioned the Rock as one of her early influences.

“My brother was the one who actually got me into WWE,” Kai said when asked about first getting into wrestling. “He watched it all the time, and I started to watch with him. I was hooked on The Rock and his ability to captivate an audience. From there, one of my friends I used to do athletics with told me about a local company that needed more girls. That was in 2007, and I haven’t looked back since.”

The Rock responded to the article and Kai on Twitter.

“Very cool and flattering @DakotaKai_WWE,” Rock Tweeted. “Thank you! Look forward to following your career. Work extremely hard, have FUN in the ring performing for the fans and always stay above bullshit backstage politics”

Kai and the Rock are both half-Samoan. Kai was also asked if she feels any pressure because of the rich lineage of Samoan wrestlers.

“I never felt any pressure about that,” she explained. “I’ve simply always embraced being ‘afakasi. Mum would make sure us kids would grow up with a strong sense of who we are and where we came from. I’ve visited Samoa twice and visited my mum’s home village of Lepea. She would always make traditional Samoan dishes for us, and we would have family get togethers somewhat regularly. Family is priority within the Samoan community, which means the support system I get from them is amazing.”

Dakota Kai was recently defeated by NXT Women’s Champion, Shayna Baszler, on NXT. The 30-year-old has now been in WWE developmental since April 2017. Before signing with WWE, she wrestled as Evie for promotions such as Shimmer and Stardom. Kai defeated Rhea Ripley as the NXT house show from Fort Pierce, Florida last Saturday night.