PDA

View Full Version : John Kavanagh Wants Nate Diaz Next For Conor McGregor

Kemo
06-28-2018, 09:05 PM
Former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion Conor McGregor’s return is expected to come soon, and while many expect him to challenge 155-pound champ Khabib Nurmagomedov upon his return, the Irishman’s coach would prefer a different match-up.

Speaking to Robin Black this past weekend, John Kavanagh revealed that despite the fight with The Eagle looming, he’d prefer McGregor to partake in a trilogy bout with Nate Diaz:

“Nate Diaz is my favorite fight, by the way,” Kavanagh said. “If I could pick a fight for the next one it would be that trilogy. I realize it’s not the fan-favorite.

“The fan favorite, without a close second, is the Khabib fight, but for me, it’s the Nate Diaz rematch and I think the Khabib fight is a lot more straight forward.”

While seeing McGregor walk through men with similar size to him at 145 and 155 pounds is great, Kavanagh doesn’t get as excited for those match-ups as much as he would for a bout that would challenge his star pupil. Not to mention that the ultimate competitor came out of The Notorious One after his first loss to Diaz:

”For me, he had already lost to him, it’s a bigger guy, Conor’s skill set is shutting people’s consciousness off and he’s impossible – a freaking Homer Simpson head, he just keeps moving forward,” Kavanagh said.

“Conor’s bravery in [the fight], I’ve seen Conor fight a lot of people that he’s able to walk through and that’s great, it’s fun and you raise a belt, but it doesn’t it doesn’t really excite me that much, not really. But that fight, if you’d been around him, by the time he’d got backstage [after losing the first Diaz fight], we were watching that night, and then the next morning he was not off the phone until Lorenzo and Dana said that would be his next fight.”