PDA

View Full Version : Mick Foley On The Biggest Pop Of His Career

Kemo
08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
WWE Hall Of Famer Mick Foley recently did an interview with the Saskatoon StarPhoenix to talk about several professional wrestling topics.

Of course, Foley was asked about his historic 1999 Hell In A Cell match with The Undertaker. Foley was tossed off the top of the cell and through an announce table during the match. It’s a highlight-reel moment that lives on in professional wrestling history.

Foley offered up why he thinks fans still talk about the moment:

“Part of it was that it grew on an organic level. There wasn’t social media so it didn’t trend for three days and then disappear.

“It traveled by word of mouth – It was brutal but it was also surreal so that it wasn’t difficult to watch in a way like the January 1999 match I had with The Rock was.

“[Foley took 11 chair shots to the head with his wife and two young children — captured in the critically-acclaimed documentary Beyond The Mat — watching in tears at ringside.] It stands up to repeated viewings.

“But it doesn’t feel like watching a snuff film [laughs]. I sometimes talk at these shows about the element of magic in the air. I think it was alive that night.”

He confirmed that his HIAC moment is what he gets asked the most about by people. A close second is his tag team with The Rock:

“There’s nothing that’s even close. Running a distant second is my tag team with The Rock. They don’t recall specific matches. They just recall the chemistry and how much fun they had watching us.”

Finally, Foley discussed the biggest pop of his career. It was winning the WWE Title on an episode of Monday Night RAW in 1999. Of course, that wasn’t the biggest pop of the entire night.

The biggest pop – and maybe event he biggest pop of all time – came upon Stone Cold Steve Austin’s entrance. He assisted Foley in winning the title:

“It’s funny that the largest pop I ever received was only the second-largest of that match [Laughs]. Steve’s music had everyone up standing. That was an incredible night.”