PDA

View Full Version : Pete Dunne Reflects On The Matchup That Helped Establish Him In WWE

Kemo
01-07-2019, 01:37 PM
Current NXT UK Champion, Pete Dunne, has been on a tear across the WWE landscape in recent months. Whether it’s featuring in high profile matchups in NXT, appearing on Raw, or helping to establish WWE Network’s latest iteration, NXT UK, Dunne has been delivering top-notch performances wherever he goes. His impact has already extended to setting records, as he recently celebrated 365 days as United Kingdom champion.

Sitting down for an interview with the popular podcast, E&C’s Pod Of Awesomeness, Dunne opened up about his time in WWE so far, specifically mentioning the singular match that helped establish him as a major talent and one to watch: his stellar confrontation against inaugural United Kingdom champion, Tyler Bate. That match took place at NXT TakeOver: Chicago on May 20th, 2017.

“The springboard — as in the big platform for wrestling fans around the world to see us — was myself and Tyler at TakeOver Chicago,” Dunne said, “because before that we’d done the UK Tournament and there was buzz in the UK about us getting our own show, but I felt there needed to be something to expose us to the whole world of wrestling fans.

[…] the feeling of being in TakeOver is completely different,” he admitted, “even though we got a lot of response and a lot of praise from the first tournament and then being able to do NXT weekly TV obviously you get a huge response compared to anything we’ve ever done before. Another step up is TakeOver. It’s a completely different feeling. I’d even argue more so than when I got the opportunity to do RAW. There’s just so many eyes on you and passionate fans that it really was a massive springboard for us.”