PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Omega Reflects On Time In WWE Developmental, Discusses Upcoming Documentary

Kemo
01-29-2019, 06:49 PM
Kenny Omega remains the hottest free agent in pro wrestling. Speculation ended over his possible Royal Rumble involvement once the match finished without ‘The Best Bout Machine.’ However, that isn’t to say all conjecture as to where Omega ends up has stopped. With AEW, NJPW, and WWE still a possibility, Omega remains one of the most talked about wrestlers in the industry.

This is highlighted by his upcoming documentary, Omega Man: A Wrestling Love Story. The documentary is set to air on March 27th at 7:30/ET on TSN.

Speaking with The Warmup, Kenny discussed the documentary, as well as his initial time in WWE’s developmental circuit.

Back in 2005, Omega was involved with WWE’s developmental promotion, Deep South Wrestling. He confessed he “didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought that I would.”

“I really appreciated the opportunity and learned a lot. I felt going into the system as being a nobody, without them knowing my limitations, without them knowing my potential, especially, I really wanted to prove to them that I could be more to them and to the business than what they thought of me originally, so I decided to leave WWE.”

He reflected that he was able to make this decision due to his living situation at the time. His parents helped to support him as he reassessed his direction. This time to think ensured he avoided rash decisions, helping him to focus and fulfil his dreams.

“[…] Up until now, nobody really understands there are other options, there is more to wrestling than just WWE. You can make a living and make a difference, being regarded as the best on the planet in professional wrestling without ever stepping foot in WWE.”

Omega admitted he was a private person, but was open to the idea of a documentary being made about him. He also revealed that the whole project came about after a simple question via Twitter.

“I think it [the documentary] actually originated on Twitter. Someone asked if I were, perhaps, interested in a documentary filmed about me,” he said. “[…] I’m a very private — it’s hard to let people into that personal space bubble, so I was open for discussion, I wanted to talk about it.

Knowing my schedule doesn’t really have much leeway in terms of free time and such, having a documentary crew follow me around and essentially take away all that free time, I wasn’t sure if I would actually enjoy the experience or not, or if I would be able to act like myself.

As a performer, I always feel like I’m performing for the people. I didn’t want to make it seem like I was performing for a documentary, I wanted it to be an actual representation of who I am.”