PDA

View Full Version : Roman Reigns Discusses An Off-Season In WWE

Kemo
03-09-2019, 07:11 PM
Roman Reigns recently returned to WWE Monday Night RAW in order to deliver the good news that he is in remission. Later that same night, Reigns would be inserted into a storyline with his former Shield brothers, Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose. He was back to work straight off the back, doing what he loves.

In an interview with Talksport.com, “The Big Dog” was asked whether WWE and pro wrestling as a whole, might benefit from an off-season being implemented. Reigns’ response was a poised, considered reply, acknowledging the benefits an off-season could provide to both fans and WWE Superstars from a health and creative standpoint.

He admitted that “This formula has worked and Sports Entertainment is a ‘what have you done for me lately’ industry.”

Reigns continued, expressing that “Unfortunately, we don’t have an off-season like most sports, or other kinds of forms of entertainment or competition, but, you know, I think if we could make it work, it would give a great benefit to our performers and our fans as well.”

He explained that “It would definitely give our performers another couple of months, if not a full quarter, to rest and recover, not only just from a physical standpoint, but creatively.”

From a creative perspective, Reigns contemplates that a break would allow Superstars to grow as characters and further develop the stories they are trying to tell. He admits that “doing it over and over and over” can be tough.

“I think that’s what makes WWE and its superstars so tough and it’s an accomplishment to get to where we are. Only we can handle this and we’ve proved it, so it’s just a part of the gig. I don’t think it’s something that shouldn’t be looked into, but if the schedule stays the same I’m gonna be the guy that’ll run it.”

It’s a surprisingly candid take on the concept from one of WWE’s biggest modern era Superstars. Giving their talent an opportunity to rest and heal, whilst still pushing storylines and character development has no real creative pitfall. It would potentially stop Superstars from suffering frequent injuries.

The constant battle for a top spot, however, across all of WWE’s brands, and this “’what have you done for me lately” mindset is probably enough to ensure that WWE will never adopt an off-season into their structure.