PDA

View Full Version : Tom Magee vs. Bret Hart Tape Holder Calls Out Dave Meltzer

Kemo
04-03-2019, 04:35 PM
The legend of the infamous Tom Magee vs. Bret Hart WWF TV match from 1986 has taken another twist.

This match has long been considered the “holy grail” of ‘lost’ wrestling matches. Tom Magee is a world champion powerlifter, martial artist and gymnast. He was trained by Stu Hart. He was easy on the eyes and the prototype of a mid-1980’s main event wrestler.

When he joined the World Wrestling Federation, one of his first televised matches for the company took place on October 7th, 1986. He wrestled Bret Hart at a television taping from Rochester, New York. The Hitman made the green Magee look like a million bucks. Vince McMahon saw his “next Hulk Hogan.”

Magee bean touring with WWE on the C-level towns, so he could get experience without being in the public eye of major markets. Unfortunately, without an all-time great like Bret Hart to work with, Magee’s flaws were exposed. Vince eventually soured on Magee and the rest is history.

At the bottom of this article, we have embedded a clip of Colt Cabana talking about the pro wrestling career of Tom Magee and his match with Bret Hart.

Last week, a fan named Mary-Kate Anthony announced that she has a VHS copy of the mythical match and plans to post it online. Anthony posted a few screenshots and even a .GIF from the match to substantiate her possession of the tape.

Some are still doubting me and the legitimacy of the tape. Here is a small clip to show it’s real. It’s actually Bret. #HartMagee

— Mary-Kate Anthony (@marykayfabe) March 30, 2019

https://media.giphy.com/media/149TJV0WjTjngJcgha/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Wrestling fans were positively giddy at the prospect of finally seeing the fabled match. In the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Dave Meltzer commented on the situation He wrote, “[Mary-Kate Anthony] got a letter from WWE legal making it clear she could not put the tape on YouTube or share it in any form. I believe WWE sent a letter order her to send the VHS tape to them.”

Mary-Kate Anthony vehemently refutes this claim by Meltzer. She wrote on Twitter:

"With all due respect Mr Meltzer, your “facts” could not be more wrong. Not one statement here highlighted is true. My DM’s are open and you could have contacted me.”

/wbpc0C33Ov4