PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Pettis Reveals He Was Offered Conor McGregor Before Nate Diaz Fight

Kemo
05-14-2019, 07:21 PM
The table is set for a welterweight meeting between Anthony “Showtime” Pettis and Nate Diaz in August. The former lightweight champion is scheduled to face Stockton’s favorite fighter in the co-main event of the UFC 241 pay-per-view. The action goes down from the Honda Center in Anaheim, California on August 17.

However, prior to being booked against Diaz, Pettis was offered a much bigger fight. Speaking to “The Ariel Helwani MMA Show” on Monday (May 13, 2019), Pettis revealed he was offered a fight with Conor McGregor in August, but that never materialized:

“There were some big names thrown my way. Conor McGregor was thrown my way from Dana in August but then that didn’t happen. So I just pulled back, hung out and was training and then Nate Diaz popped up. It’s perfect.”

Of course, McGregor is far more interested in securing a rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov. However, he’ll have to earn his way back into the title picture with another big win. Perhaps a fight with fan-favorite Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone will eventually work itself out.

McGregor is expected to return soon despite his legal issues outside of the Octagon, and the fact that he claimed to be retiring on Twitter several weeks ago. While that sorts itself out, fight fans can sit back and watch the build-up for what should be a great, and personal, fight between Diaz and Pettis.