PDA

View Full Version : More Information On Sami Zayn Namedropping AEW on RAW

Kemo
05-29-2019, 02:50 PM
The pro wrestling world is still buzzing about this past Saturday’s AEW event, Double Or Nothing. Even WWE Superstars have been discussing the event, with Sami Zayn mentioning the promotion this past Monday on RAW.

Given the WWE’s usual stance on other promotions, the namedrop surprised the WWE Universe— leading many to believe that Zayn went off script and improvised the reference. According to Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio, that’s not the case. He argued that it was a scripted moment.

His co-host, Bryan Alvarez, disagreed, stating that the AEW reference was, in fact, improvised.

Alvarez has now claimed that Vince McMahon was reportedly “furious” over WWE’s new rival promotion being mentioned.

“There are absolutely people who insist that Sami was given the OK to mention AEW, alright?” Alvarez said. “I’ve even heard from one person who said that in the script that went around in the morning yesterday, it was in the script that he was going to mention AEW. One person said that. I had another person say, and Dave had people tell him that it was a scripted line. Now, with that said, I heard from multiple people, far more people in fact, and people that heard from other people, that all said, the line was not scripted, the line was not supposed to be said.”

“I was also told from multiple people that when it happened, Vince flipped his lid. He was furious that this happened, OK? […] The one [theory] that people seem to think is the most likely, is that a small number of people were told that he was given the OK, and that they’re working the boys and flipping out about it,” Alvarez explained.

“[…] I wasn’t there to witness it, but I do know that the people there who absolutely 100% believed that he was very angry, that this was not him putting on a show for people, that this was not him trying to work the boys, that he was angry when this got on the air. I don’t know how to explain everything, I just know that’s what happened last night.”

WWE edited out the AEW reference in their YouTube upload of the segment. They didn’t, however, choose to do anything with their live delay. RAW airs with a 15-second delay, which would’ve given them ample opportunity to bleep or silence the name.

If Zayn did go off script, and Vince was genuinely furious as described, it is believed that Sami will have to contend with the consequences of his decision. Meltzer even suggested that Zayn could face possible suspension if that’s the case.