PDA

View Full Version : Tony Khan On AEW Not Using Scripted Promos, Targeting A Younger Audience

Kemo
05-30-2019, 09:43 PM
All Elite Wrestling (AEW) are actively trying to provide an alternative with their promotion. This extends to how they are choosing to engage with their fans and how they intend to portray their storylines and promos.

Tony Khan recently caught up with Busted Open Radio. During their conversation, the AEW president stressed the importance of implementing social media strategy, saying that their ability to connect with a younger audience was a purposeful decision.

“I think there is something about social media now where people are more engaged with their celebrities and their sports stars than ever before,” he said. “People can spot a phoney, and I think young people can spot a phoney. I think young people can spot when people believe what they are saying and when people aren’t believing what they are saying, and when I was a kid, I really did believe what Ric Flair and Randy Savage and Bret Hart said in their promos. I think there has to be some believability.”

This believability is an element Khan is adamant AEW bring back to the world of pro wrestling. His plan to achieve that? Not having their talent use scripted promos.

“When you see a guy reading off a teleprompter or a mental teleprompter, just trying to recite a script or trying to look up in the air when you forget a line. It is hard to suspend disbelief when the wrestler doesn’t believe in the real-life situation that is unfolding. So like I said, I am not surprised that we are drawing young viewers; it was part of the plan going in.”

AEW’s next show will be Fyter Fest. The show takes place on June 29th from the Ocean Center, Daytona Beach, Florida.