PDA

View Full Version : The Undertaker Reflects On Living His Gimmick, Drawing Inspiration From Horror Icons

Kemo
11-27-2019, 09:51 PM
The Undertaker was the first guest on “Stone Cold” Steve Austin’s new WWE Network show, The Broken Skull Sessions. During their interview, The Undertaker reflected on drawing influence from horror icons as well as having to live his gimmick at all times.

‘Taker pointed to slasher icons Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees, of Halloween and Friday the 13th, respectively, as inspirations. He explained how they never moved fast, but always appeared to be in the right place to make the kill. Their slow pace only added to their vicious nature.

“The character lent itself to being the boogeyman,” he said. “The boogeyman just shows up, so I would lull people into a false sense and all the sudden, ‘Bang!’ Quick, something fast. Boom! And then I’d throttle it back down.”

He then broached how he went the extra mile to inhabit his character at all times. Austin commented on how ‘Taker was known for living his gimmick and not wanting to break character or kayfabe.

“I lived it because I knew I couldn’t be different than what they saw on TV. I never stopped working. I never—you go in my house back then, open up my closet. I dare you to find something that wasn’t black. I lived it. I never tried to put myself in situations,” Undertaker said, “where I had to be anything other than what people saw on TV. They got a slight variation because I was in street clothes, but they never got much more than that. I think it worked.”

The Broken Skull Sessions is available to stream on the WWE Network.

1yT9LC6-i64