PDA

View Full Version : Corey Graves Explains Why He Thinks Custom Championships Devalues Them

Kemo
12-09-2019, 08:42 PM
Speaking on WWE’s podcast, After The Bell, host Corey Graves shared his thoughts on “The Fiend” Bray Wyatt’s customized Universal Championship. Although initially positive with his praise, the SmackDown announcer soon expressed his dislike of customized championships in general.

“It’s cool. I think it’s very very cool,” he stated of Wyatt’s belt. “I am a big fan of Tom Savini, one of the greatest special effects artists to ever work in the motion picture industry. I think it’s cool that our worlds have collided. The championship in and of itself is very cool, visually. But I have a problem with these customized championships. I always have.”

He continued, “I hated when Stone Cold had the Smoking Skull belt. It looked cool, but all of a sudden, the WWE Championship and all of its history is customized to one guy. I didn’t have a problem with the blue Universal Championship because it made sense, it still looks like the WWE Championship. I didn’t hate when Ultimate Warrior would change the strap on his WWE Championship. But all of a sudden, The Fiend is going to defend a title that is just his face? I’m not a huge fan of it.”

Graves explained that he feels personalized championships actually devalue the championship itself as a whole. He argued how each belt has a distinct lineage and history. For him, that history is cheapened by changing the design of the belt to custom fit a particular Superstar for a finite amount of time.

1wS7eBCfsPo