PDA

View Full Version : The New Day Talk ‘Trash’ Promos That WWE Creative Have Given Them

Kemo
01-01-2020, 09:07 PM
The New Day made some interesting comments regarding their original heel turn back in 2015 on the latest episode of The New Day: Feel The Power. The trio discussed their first turn back in 2015 on the show and also discussed some members of the WWE creative team and how they would present “trash” to the group to say on air in promos.

“We don’t write our own promos, I don’t want to say that” Big E began. “We are given promos and often times, Mike, who we always consider the fourth member of The New Day, when he left…actually he left right after we won the [tag team] titles for the first time. He was gone and moved on to new things in Hollywood, we [then] had some other writers that didn’t gel as well with us, and we were able to thankfully, with Vince, we were able to get a promo and say ‘we don’t really care for this. So we aren’t going to say that, that AANNND that.'”

Big E elaborated further, saying “let’s go huddle in a room for an hour and we’ll come up with what we wanna say. We’ve said this many times, our creative process together…is so fun, and easy and organic. I don’t like when there’s the three of us and a writer is just kind of in the room just lingering. I don’t want to take shots at anyone. But if we just read what was given to us on a regular basis…basura, basura, basura…THAT MEANS TRASH. Man, we’ve had some real stinkers.”

Xavier Woods also interjected with some interesting insights into WWE’s creative process and how The New Day managed to start apart. “To that point, which I didn’t think we were jumping into. I feel like all those people on the internet do talk about that and make that point. ‘Oh this was bad, this was bad.’ But I feel like there are certain situations…wrestling definitely being the top one. Where if you have someone writing something for you that doesn’t have similar life experiences, or the same sense of humor. Or has nothing really in common with you, it’s a lot harder for them to write in your voice. I feel like that’s something that we definitely ran into.”

Kofi Kingston is the longest tenured member of the group, having joined WWE over a decade ago. The former WWE Champion discussed how Vince McMahon would let the New Day find their own promo groove; “I feel like I’ve heard so many writers try to ‘sell’ me a promo. ‘You would say this, New Day would say and feel this..’ It’s like hold on a second, you can’t tell me what New Day is. I invented this, you know. You can’t tell us how to be us. Just let us have our process. He who shall not be named (Vince McMahon) would often get the promo we sent back. He’d read it and then just be like ‘I don’t get it. But if wanna do it just let them do it.’ Because he got it. The fact that we know our characters well enough and we connect with the people. That’s all that he [Vince] wants.”

Big E did also mention that he doesn’t want to pull “all of the onus” on WWE creative for the bad promos. As he mentions that there’s certain talents who just aren’t that good at talking; including himself in the early part of his career.