PDA

View Full Version : Matt Hardy On How Wrestlers And Promoters Work For Two Masters

Kemo
01-07-2020, 08:59 PM
RAW Superstar Matt Hardy has uploaded a new episode of his YouTube series, Thoughts from the Throne. During the show, Hardy addressed the fanbase he has accumulated with his other series, Free the Delete.

“I have been doing them in a very specific way where I think in the professional wrestling business now, if you’re a performer or especially if you’re a promoter, and you’re putting together the events, we serve two masters,” Hardy explained.

He extrapolated his comment, saying:

“I think there is the diehard fan that knows the deal and knows what’s going on, and I think that fanbase is growing exponentially, and is getting larger every single day. That’s one audience that we definitely have to take care of and we have to cater to them. The other audience is the casual fans and there are casual fans out there that just love the casual concept of wrestling, and there’s this larger than life story – a good guy vs. a bad guy, and they wanna see a story happen, that culminates in a match, and there’s trainwrecks on the way.”

Hardy then pointed to the recent Lana, Bobby Lashley and Rusev angle. He highlighted how the segments “did a big number,” despite the diehard fans hating it.

“[…] obviously there’s casual fans that are interested in it because people keep watching it online. So, there are two masters we are serving, and the point of what I was saying was in ‘Free The Delete’ I am trying to cater to both of those.”

Hardy shared that this is the style he is trying to capture for the modern product, creating interesting, entertaining segments and videos that appeal to both. He stressed that when it comes to Free the Delete, if fans see something that stands out and possibly means something, that is an intentional creative choice, not just coincidence.

At the time of writing, Matt Hardy has yet to re-sign with WWE.