PDA

View Full Version : Drew McIntyre Reveals The Origin Of His Ring Name

Kemo
01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Drew McIntyre recently participated in WWE’s new WWE Network series, Break It Down. Speaking directly to the camera, McIntyre—whose real last name is Galloway—recalled how he was presented with the surname ‘McIntyre’ when he first came back to WWE.

McIntyre remembered having a conversation with Michael Hayes and Stephanie McMahon. Stephanie asked whether Drew Galloway was actually his real name. Upon finding out that it was, she revealed that it may be something they needed to change despite the fact he was due in the ring within the next ten minutes.

“Stephanie McMahon says to myself and Michael Hayes, ‘Is Drew Galloway your real name?’ I said ‘Yeah’, and she’s ‘Oh…we might need to change that.’ And I’m on, legitimately, in about two matches, maybe 10 minutes max,” McIntrye said. “So myself and Michael Hayes ran straight to talent relations. He quickly told them bring up Wikipedia, a bunch of Scottish names. We went from ‘A’ all the way through.”

He continued, “I listened to these names with a very limited time frame to get a new name. As soon as I heard—it was ‘McDonald’ first, he liked—I went nope, I know a ‘Drew McDonald,’ can’t be him. I need three syllables. Fans have to chant when I’m good one day, and he said, ‘Mc-In-tyre’ and I said ‘McIntyre’. ‘Mc-In-tyre’. That’s the one.”

He then revealed how they rushed back to the Gorilla Position for him to ready himself for his match. They told the ring announcer his new name but, despite being announced as Drew McIntyre, the Superstar revealed if fans look at the titantron behind him, the video still shows snippets of ‘Drew Galloway’ on the screen.