PDA

View Full Version : Damien Priest Reflects On Being Rejected By WWE, Honing His Character

Kemo
01-10-2020, 02:59 AM
NXT Superstar Damien Preist has reflected on being rejected by WWE—not once but twice over the past five years. Speaking with Sports Illustrated, Priest noted how he was able to turn trials like being “overlooked” into motivation to fuel him on his journey.

“WWE turned me down twice in the last five years. I thought I’d never have the chance to work here,” Priest said. “Then, a year later, my contract was up with Ring of Honor, and I got a phone call from WWE. Since starting in late 2018, the Performance Center has me in the best shape of my life, I feel like a rookie all over again, and I’m excited for everything to come.”

With Priest’s growth as an in-ring talent and rise up the ranks in the black-and-gold brand, he is quick to give credit to those who helped train him. One person, in particular, has helped him really hone his character and presence: WWE Performance Center Head Coach, Matt Bloom.

“Every single coach has played a part, and Matt Bloom has helped with my demeanor and presence,” Priest shared. “He wants me to give off a feeling just by the way I look at him. He’s adamant about my cadence and delivery and mannerisms. All of the coaches have taken everything I am and morphed it into the best wrestler possible, and a lot of my presence is thanks to Bloom. He gets me thinking.”

He noted how he has now “become” Damien Priest, rather than just portraying a character on television. Whereas before he felt he was acting as Priest, now it is “a real feeling.”

Priest took part in a Fatal 4 Way to determine a new number one contender to Roderick Strong’s NXT North American Championship. Keith Lee would ultimately secure the victory and will go on to face Strong.