PDA

View Full Version : Damien Priest On Needing A Game Plan As A Wrestler

Kemo
01-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Despite his rise through the ranks on WWE’s black-and-gold brand, Damien Priest has confessed that coming to WWE made him feel as though he had only “just started.” Prior to signing with WWE, the NXT Superstar had experience on the independent circuit and with other promotions such as Ring of Honor, where he wrestled as Punishment Martinez.

“I feel like because of the knowledge that I’ve gained here, it’s like I just started,” Priest told Sporting News. “It really does feel that way and I’m still constantly asking “was that OK, is this good, how can I make this better?” like if I just started.”

Training at the WWE Performance Center and performing in NXT has been a different experience for Priest. He highlighted how Superstars have to “explain it to ourselves as to why we do the things we do and have them make sense” as opposed to having no game plan or understanding behind their actions and character motivations.

“Before, you just go into a match or promo or appearance but there has to be more to it,” he explained. “I used to fight before I was in pro wrestling and it’s the same thing for preparation. You can’t just go out there and start swinging wildly.”

He continued, “You actually have to have a game plan, you have to have a reason and know how to defend yourself and create a game plan. It’s kind of the same thing where I never put two-and-two together and never realized that’s the way I should have always attacked this business.”

Damien Priest was unable to secure a victory this past Wednesday night on NXT. He competed in a Fatal 4 Way match up to determine the new number one contender for Roderick Strong’s NXT North American Championship.