PDA

View Full Version : Steve Austin Opens Up On “Extremely Hard” Decision To Retire From Wrestling

Kemo
01-11-2020, 08:18 PM
Steve Austin opened up ion his decision to walk away from the pro wrestling business.

He did so when he did an interview with Bleacher Report. Despite it being over a decade since he’s worked a match, fans still want to see him wrestle one more time.

That isn’t likely though. Austin had his final match in 2003 against The Rock at WrestleMania 19.

“They always ask me, ‘Do you miss it?’ No, man, because it’s been so long now that … I mean, I have to be over it now. But there is a small part of me, even though I don’t live in the past, that says, ‘Man, when you’re 38 years old, man, in wrestling, you’re really in your prime.’”

The legendary pro wrestler continued by noting that he learned a lot about the business from working angles, talking promos, and psychology with the crowd.

He stated that he was really honed up at that age and “to walk away from the table at seemingly a prime-time age was very, very tough for me to do, at many levels.”

Austin brought up how he spent a lot of time hunting, fishing and drinking to deal with it was to walk away from the business was hard. He recalled a conversation he had with Dale Earnhardt Jr about his decision to retire from full-time racing because of his history with concussions.

“A doctor wasn’t going to tell him, ‘Hey, you need to quit.’ He pulled the plug on himself. I did the same thing. A doctor didn’t look me in the eyes and say, ‘Steve, you must retire now.’ It was a decision I had to make for myself.”

Steve Austin opened up on how that when you’re flying high and portraying the character he was while living your passion, it would be anybody’s dream to live that kind of life.

“All of a sudden you’ve got to make a decision to take yourself out of the game. It was extremely hard to deal with.”