PDA

View Full Version : The Revolt On Vince McMahon’s Attitude To Southern Accents

Kemo
05-06-2020, 08:16 PM
Cash Wheeler and Dax Harwood, the Revolt, were guests this week on Talk is Jericho. The former members of the Revival spoke on a variety of subjects including Vince McMahon and WWE’s attitude toward southern accents. Harwood first spoke about how the team’s former trainer, Dusty Rhodes, liked that they were both southern wrestlers.

“I think that Dusty enjoyed the fact that we’re both southerners and we both sound like southerners,” Harwood said.

“Some people atop the WWE may not like that southern accent and I think Dusty enjoyed the southern accent because he had one himself but also because he knew that the upper chain in WWE didn’t, so he just liked to push back a little bit.”

The topic of conversation then moved to the belief that Vince McMahon doesn’t like southern accents. The Revolt then spoke about how they were told by some that they likely wouldn’t get much promo time because of Vince’s aversion to southern accents. Cash then mentioned they brought this up with Vince.

“He never said that directly to us, we actually brought it up to him,” Cash said. “He laughed about it. He said ‘well, I’m from North Carolina’ and I said ‘yeah man, I know.'”

“Then why are you ashamed of it?” Harwood chimed in.

“We didn’t understand it,” Cash continued. “I don’t think it’s just a Vince thing. I think its maybe a worldwide thing that just because you have this southern accent you are perceived as a dumbass.”

“That was one thing that when Daniel and I first started teaming, I told him ‘man, I really want to show these people that you can be a southern wrestler and you can be a southerner without being an idiot.”

The team continued to speak about their interactions with Vince McMahon during the podcast.

“Anytime we had interactions with Vince, they always went really well. He was very open, he would listen, he was very responsive and complimentary,” Cash continued. “We were taken aback sometimes that he was aware of things that we didn’t think he would be.”

Cash continued to talk about how it wasn’t just Vince who didn’t like southern accents.

“It wasn’t just a Vince thing, I think a lot of the upper management there, for some reason, they just think with a southern accent, you’ll only go so far,” he continued.