PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi captain wants super-sub pact

OMEN
02-17-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/common/imageViewer/0,1445,224168,00.jpg
ALL EYES: Black Caps' Nathan Astle is all concentration as he works out in the nets for today's one-day international against the West Indies in Wellington.

Plans to dump subs scuttled
18 February 2006
By JONATHAN MILLMOW

Match referee Mike Proctor has knocked back a gentlemen's agreement to have the outgoing super-sub rule scrapped for the opening one-day international between New Zealand and the West Indies in Wellington today.

Proctor was thrust into the spotlight last night after New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming launched another attack on the unpopular substitution law.

Fleming labelled the rule "flawed" and sought to have the day-nighter at Westpac Stadium played in the traditional manner due to the ICC's about turn on the experiment this week.

Fleming was guaranteed the support of his West Indian counterpart Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who faces the ridiculous situation of having to familiarise himself with a rule only to see it thrown out next month.

Proctor showed some sympathy toward the request, saying the captains' thoughts would be forwarded to ICC operations manager Dave Richardson.

But he felt it was unreasonable to expect a change before the ICC's executive committee had met on the issue.

"It's straight by the book tomorrow (today) and I don't foresee any change for the rest of the series, but I will ask," Proctoer said.

"Stephen did mention it to me and I said I'd ask, but I haven't got hold of anyone yet because all the CEO meetings are going on.

"I can run it by them but I am convinced they will say it has to stay in place. The rules are there and you can't just change them mid-stream. The rule is there till mid-March and I'm sure Dave will say no."

Fleming always knew it was a longshot but said he hoped commonsense would apply.

"It would be very much commonsense if it did take place. It seems very strange for the West Indies to learn how to play it and then have it disbanded.

"If there is some flexibility it would be good, but usually there is not."

Of greater concern to Fleming today will be the performance of his side, which was shaky in the Twenty20 tour opener in Auckland on Thursday night.

Fleming admitted the West Indies may have taken heart from taking New Zealand to the wire.

"As far as the process of putting them under pressure goes we certainly let them off the hook," Fleming said.

"If we'd won well they'd go into tomorrow (today) a little more uncomfortable than they do now. It's up to them how much they take from it."

What Thursday showed was that the West Indies' bowling resources are similarly well-equipped to make life difficult on a dying wicket, which Westpac Stadium traditionally is.

Dwayne Smith, Chris Gayle and Dwayne Bravo caused problems on the working-class strip and the changes of pace by Bravo were impressively subtle.

Their quicker men are a mixture. Left-armer Ian Bradshaw was the pick of them, Deighton Butler is a shoulder bowler, while Jerome Taylor should not cause too many concerns.

New Zealand will have confidence in their slower men Daniel Vettori, Jeetan Patel, Scott Styris and Nathan Astle and even more in their speed merchant, Shane Bond.

He was back to his explosive best in the Twenty20 game, making a mockery of any thoughts he would take time to hit his straps due to a recent virus.

"He looks pretty fit and sharp and he is one of the guys we have to look out for in this series," Chanderpaul said.

Another headache for the West Indies is a casualty list that comprises Bravo (side strain), Ramnaresh Sarwan (flu) and Wavell Hinds (thigh strain).

New Zealand (from): Stephen Fleming (captain), Lou Vincent, Nathan Astle, Jamie How, Scott Styris, Peter Fulton, Hamish Marshall, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori, James Franklin, Shane Bond, Jeetan Patel, Michael Mason.

West Indies (from): Shivnarine Chanderpaul (captain), Chris Gayle, Daren Ganga, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Runako Morton, Wavell Hinds, Dwayne Smith, Dwayne Bravo, Denesh Ramdin, Ian Bradshaw, Deighton Butler, Jerome Taylor, Rawl Lewis, Fidel Edwards.

Umpires: Rudi Koertzen (South Africa), Tony Hill (New Zealand).

Stuff.nz