PDA

View Full Version : Corey Graves Talks Lack of Character Development in WWE

Kemo
05-20-2021, 02:47 PM
Corey Graves is a man who knows how to use his words. A wrestler turned color commentator, Graves is a great example of a heel character. Both in the ring and out.

Talking on his show, After the Bell Graves took the time to talk about John Cena’s return to WWE. Not in the ring but regarding the upcoming show WWE Evil. It is a show that speaks directly to Graves. Promising to dive deep into the psychology of some of the biggest villains in wrestling.

“As a villain at heart I always look forward to understanding the psychology and why we had such disdain or loved to hate some of the best bad guys ever in the business. Definitely something to look forward to.” Graves said when discussing the show.
Corey Graves Words Echo the Frustration of WWE Fans

It was an interesting monologue from the host. He went on to criticize WWE for the lack of time devoted to real character development on screen. Yes, there are clear cut heels and faces, and characters like Bray Wyatt and Alex Bliss have seen their characters explored through their weekly segments. However, Graves believes that current programming fails to truly bring the inverse in and get them invested in the characters.

“I always missed and loved being invested in the characters we see on RAW and on SmackDown and on NXT. I’ve said I would like to see more character pieces.” Graves went on to rescue himself from the ire of his employers by referring people to the WWE network. “it’s almost more of an incentive to subscribe to WWE Network on Peacock to really dive into these specials, whether it be WWE 24 or Chronicles, to really get to know the person behind what you see on screen for a fraction of the show.”

Corey Graves is a villain to the core. His words always carefully chosen to rile those that listen. Hopefully, however, the hidden frustration in his words won’t come back to haunt him.