PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Smith On What Vince McMahon Was Telling Him During Raw Debut

Kemo
06-08-2021, 06:15 PM
The newest WWE broadcaster Jimmy Smith was a guest on the latest episode of Busted Open Radio where he opened up about his debut on last week’s episode of Raw as the lead commentator for the show. During the interview, the former MMA commentator talked about how he is used to people yelling in his ear thanks to his previous job at Bellator among others.

Discussing his experience on the first day of his new position, Smith explained that there were never multiple people screaming in his ear. It was mostly Michael Cole and Kevin Dunn who were giving him instructions. He also claimed that Vince McMahon didn’t chime in as much before detailing what instructions he got from the Boss:

“When Vince hopped on it was about things that were specific to the WWE that I need to learn, that I found very, very helpful, Things like, whenever we say WWE fans, we say, ‘Our fans.’ There is verbiage that is specific to the WWE. They specifically want certain things. They specifically don’t want certain things that are very common in other sports, especially MMA. So, every time Vince jumped on it was a specific [thing], ‘Hey, in the WWE we say this. . .’ And, ‘Ok got it. 100%, I understand.’”

Reports suggested that people backstage were happy with Jimmy Smith’s debut performance. They liked the energy he brought into the role. Discussing the reaction he got from people backstage, the newest Raw star said that the people who mattered were all happy:

“Triple H texted me [the next] morning and was like, ‘Dude, great job. Thank you so much.’ And that’s what matters, man. Keeping a gig depends on four or five key people, and they were all happy this morning, and that’s what matters."

Apart from this, the Raw commentator talked about how the ads cue at WWE are much shorter than the other places he has worked at and more. Jimmy Smith replaced Adnan Virk on the Raw commentary team and he made his debut for the promotion last week.