PDA

View Full Version : John Cena Says F9 Performance Shows Heel Turn Is Possible

Kemo
06-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Roman Reigns went from the top babyface in WWE to the top heel when he turned on the fans last summer. It was a move many wondered if John Cena would make during his time as the top good guy in the company. It never happened, however. Cena recently spoke to Chris Van Vliet about portraying a “bad guy” in Fast & Furious 9. According to Cena, his role in the movie shows it is possible for him to play the antagonist.

“I think this is a beginning to showcase the fact that it’s possible,” Cena responded when asked if F9 was the heel turn fans never saw in WWE. “Now as WWE invests and builds its roster and has a wealth of talent, it truly has many different anchors to the ship. Certainly Roman Reigns being a very marketable and definitive star. I think the reason for me not exploring that side is because WWE didn’t feel confident that they had an alternative. I respect that business choice I really do.”

“But now with them really laying the foundation for their future, I mean even for life in the next decade or so, maybe but I don’t know.”

Fast & Furious 9 premieres in the United States on June 25th. It was released for some international audiences, including the country of Taiwan, last month, however.

Cena would continue to talk about how this period of having no fans in the audience has been good for Reigns. According to Cena, it has allowed him to really find his character.

“I don’t think I would have done very well in this atmosphere without an audience,” Cena said. “But I also think that this time without an audience has allowed performers like Roman Reigns for example, to unobstructively mold his character. If you send Roman Reigns from city to city with paying audience after paying audience, there may be some audiences that don’t even care what he has to say. They just want to boo him or cheer him or whatever.”

“I think Roman has absolutely needed this time and in it he has developed his personality and found out who he is. Now when he goes back to live audiences, they aren’t confused. He’s spent this 15 month block defining who he is and he’s the one who can benefit from this.”

The full interview can be viewed in the player below:

yY1ihck6fTE