PDA

View Full Version : Sami Zayn Is Not a Fan of The “You Deserve It” Chant

Kemo
08-06-2021, 03:44 PM
As a character, Sami Zayn has never been afraid to stand up and make his voice heard. Off-screen, he is a very different figure, however, one thing remains the same. His passion and his ability to express his point and hold down a conversation about it. Recently, Zayn joined Renee Paquette for another Oral Sessions episode.

During his chat, Sami Zayn spent some time talking about wrestling chants. Focusing on one in particular which is a common chant and one most wrestlers love to hear. However, for Sami, he finds it a little derogatory, especially when looking at the big picture of professional wrestling.

“My favorite chant in wrestling, the ‘you deserve it.’ And I’m like ‘do you? Do you deserve anything?’” Sami Zayn said. “What about believing that chant? You know what? ‘I worked hard and I do deserve it.’ No, I don’t think so. Everyone works hard, with a few exceptions. The biggest source of, what’s the word I’m looking for, malcontent? The thing that leaves me in a state of unease is how amazing my life is and the juxtaposition with how awful life is for so many other people and the sorrow I feel for other people and how I have it so good. It’s not because I deserve it. That’s the point. I don’t deserve it any more than the next person. I don’t.”

The message Sami Zayn is trying to get across is not one of big headedness, nor is it one of disrespect to the fan base. He was saying that just because a wrestler wins a title, it doesn’t mean he deserves it any more than anybody else in the locker room. The wrestlers whose job it is to lose every match, or who go the distance week after week in thrilling non-title storylines. Everybody deserves it because while wrestling is about individuals, it is very much a team success.

“I believe it’s just mainly luck. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I worked hard. Whatever. Everybody works hard. And you know what, I’m really great at wrestling. I’m really really good. Not everybody is this good. But a lot of people work hard at a lot of things and don’t get the breaks, and I got breaks. And it’s time to acknowledge that. Don’t ever chant ‘You deserve it’ at me. I don’t want to hear it. I would much rather ‘you got lucky! You got lucky!’ That would be more accurate.”

Sami Zayn understands the importance of every cog in the wheel. He doesn’t begrudge anybody their success but feels the relationship of success between the individual at the top and the roster that helped get them there is often forgotten.