PDA

View Full Version : Did Roman Reigns Get Backstage Heat For ‘Missionary Position’ Line?

Kemo
08-12-2021, 10:29 PM
Roman Reigns has made it clear he’s no fan of the missionary position but did he get some heat for it?

On the July 23 edition of WWE SmackDown, Reigns cut a promo denying Cena an opportunity at a Universal Title match at SummerSlam. Ultimately, Cena ended up signing a contract on another episode of SmackDown, so the two will end up meeting on Aug. 21 inside Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Reigns had what many considered to be the line of the night on that July 23 episode of SmackDown, however. He compared John Cena‘s act to doing the missionary position with a significant other every night.

During an edition of the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast, Reigns set the record straight on whether or not he had backstage heat.

“There was a portion of my career where I’d either read a script or I would try to adjust a script as much as possible. For a while now, especially since I’ve come back from my little leave during the beginning of the pandemic since SummerSlam, I’m not scripted. I say what I want to. I say what I feel, and if it comes out of my mouth, it’s my verbiage. I come up with it. I deliver it, and that’s why it’s been the way it’s been because it’s mine.

“I don’t know why they edited that out, and I think it did raise some eyebrows, but I don’t get in trouble. The gimmick is as close to being real as possible. Even if, even if they try to say something to me, I wouldn’t have cared anyways. What are you gonna do, not have me on SmackDown next week. Like I did before SummerSlam during last summer, I’ll go home. It doesn’t matter to me. Let’s see how it goes without me.”

Many have praised the Roman Reigns character since being aligned with Paul Heyman and turning heel. Reigns has held the WWE Universal Championship since Aug. 30, 2020. He’s on his way to going a full year with the gold.