PDA

View Full Version : Drew McIntyre Reflects on Jinder Mahal’s Failed Run as WWE Champion

Kemo
08-13-2021, 02:50 PM
The pandemic era of professional wrestling will long be remembered. Not only for how the world came to a stop, or how the Phenom himself didn’t get to bow out in front of a packed house. Admittedly, there is something poetic about his end coming by riding away from a beatdown on his bike. It will also be remembered for making the careers of certain wrestlers. In WWE, both Drew McIntyre and Roman Reigns saw their careers skyrocket during the empty arena shows.

Drew McIntyre was the face of the company during the lockdown period, holding the WWE Championship, defending it in war after war. He was over and the universe loved him for it. Even Roman Reigns, who turned heel during the pandemic, finally building a character that the fans could get behind. Embracing the heel everybody always knew was inside.

However, not every championship run is greeted with the same levels of appreciation or enthusiasm as Drew McIntyre or the deep-seated loathing for Reigns’ heel persona. Back in May 2017, Jinder Mahal claimed the WWE championship from Randy Orton. Yet fans never got behind Mahal’s title run, and it was, for the most part, not very memorably.
Drew McIntyre Knows You Can’t Force Feed the Fans Champions

Talking during a recent interview with Give Me Sport, Drew McIntyre gave his thoughts on why Mahal’s title run was so resoundingly rejected and criticized.

“I think a lot of it came because it just came out of nowhere. It wasn’t like myself.

There was no build to that big moment and telling the story and history. He has a similar story, the exact same story actually when it comes to getting fired, but the position he was in at the time, it was just kind of hotshotted and I think that’s why people were kind of negative. I think he did a great job with the opportunity that was presented. Perhaps low on experience at the time, but still, in my opinion, whatever he was asked, he did to the best of his abilities.” Drew McIntyre explained.

McIntyre has been locked in a feud with his former 3MB partner for several months now. Both men have come a long way since their early days with the company. Both saw their contracts ended and spent time away from WWE rebuilding. They came back stronger, and are now, arguably in their prime. Drew McIntyre understands and appreciates where Jinder Mahal is and what he has done to get there. While the pair are not yet part of the SummerSlam card, there is every chance we will see them settle their rivalry once and for all on August 21st.