PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Eliminates Man U from FA Cup

Appels
02-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Liverpool oust Man United

A bad afternoon got worse for Red Devils when substitute Alan Smith suffered a leg injury that Sir Alex called "one of the worst" he had ever seen.

LONDON (AP) -- Peter Crouch scored Saturday to give Liverpool a 1-0 win over Manchester United in the FA Cup, the club's first over United in the competition since 1921.

Crouch's 19th-minute goal was his first in eight matches and made him the first Liverpool striker to score this year.

In other fifth-round matches Saturday, Charlton beat League One Brentford 3-1, while Bolton and West Ham will replay after a 0-0 draw. Newcastle hosted Southampton later.

At Anfield, Edwin van der Sar had stopped a header by Harry Kewell but Liverpool went ahead from the resulting corner. Crouch headed Steven Gerrard's corner kick toward goal and the United goalkeeper could only pushed the ball on to the post, from where it bounced into the net.

United's bad day got worse in the last minute when substitute Alan Smith landed awkwardly on his left leg after jumping to block John Arne Riise's kick. He was carried from the field on a stretcher with his leg strapped and taking oxygen through a face mask.

"He has broken his leg and dislocated the ankle joint," said United manager Alex Ferguson. "It is a bad one. He has gone to hospital, it looks very long term -- it is one of the worst I have seen. I am sure he will be back."

The England international's treatment resulted in seven minutes of injury time and is certain to rule him out of the June 9-July 9 World Cup.

"As a manager you do not want to see any player hurt," Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez said. "But sadly this is football and I can only offer my concern and just enjoy the victory."

Liverpool was seeking to atone for last month's 1-0 Premier League loss at Old Trafford and dominated possession. United captain Gary Neville had riled Liverpool fans in that game by celebrating the goal in front of them and was jeered Saturday whenever he touched the ball.

Neville had objects including a half-eaten burger thrown at him during the second half.

United, the record 11-time FA Cup winner and last year's runner-up, was without defender Rio Ferdinand, who sustained a hamstring injury in training. However, it was the central midfield partnership of Darren Fletcher and Ryan Giggs that struggled to compete with the home side's abrasive Mohamed Sissoko and Steven Gerrard. .

"Liverpool can play for only five minutes and win the game, that is the way they are," Ferguson said. "They pump the ball into the box and with good set-piece delivery they keep you under pressure."

Charlton won a quarter-final place for the first time in six seasons. The Addicks went 3-0 up through Darren Bent, Jay Bothroyd and Bryan Hughes before a late goal by Brentford's Isaiah Rankin.

Charlton hasn't won the FA Cup since its single 1947 win.

Bolton dominated at the Reebok Stadium but couldn't score. Gary Speed and Kevin Nolan had the best chances as Bolton played to a fifth consecutive draw. West Ham, which will host the replay, missed out on an eighth successive win in all competitions.

On Sunday, Chelsea hosts Colchester, Aston Villa plays Manchester City, Middlesbrough is at Preston, and Birmingham travels to Stoke.

www.sportsnet.ca

OMEN
02-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Being a Chelsea fan it is always good to see thease two teams playing each other as they are bitter rivals of many years asnd the games between them are never very pretty.
With Man united knocked out of the FA cup it leaves the way clear for a smaller team to progress to the next round of the competition.I just hope it is not Colchester United.

Dark Drakan
02-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Couldnt watch it cause i was at work but it sucked big time, Damn Peter Crouch of all people :(

Dmac
02-20-2006, 12:52 PM
The Match was very good and being a big liverpool fan, it brings great joy to nock out Man U from the Carling Cup, but the controversy was taken away from thw win near the end of the match, where Man U player Alan Smith, ran into to block a free kick taken by John Arne Riise, and unfortunatley broke his leg and fractured his ankle, even though I do hate everything about Man U very very much I do have remorse, so get well soon Smithy.

Slash
02-20-2006, 03:26 PM
John Arne Riise! OOO AH! I wanna knoooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, how you broke his leg!

Dmac
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
coem on slash thats not right lol, taking the piss out of someone with a broken leg.

Dark Drakan
02-20-2006, 04:20 PM
Saw photos of it today and man it looked sick :eek: oh and DMac it was FA not carling :wink: