PDA

View Full Version : CM Punk Reveals Backstage Reaction To His ‘Pipebomb’ Promo

Kemo
10-01-2021, 06:34 PM
CM Punk‘s infamous “Pipebomb Promo” (2011) is still talked about to this day. Punk appeared on the AEW Unrestricted podcast this week to discuss his return to pro wrestling and much more.

Thinking back to his groundbreaking promo, Punk [jokingly] says he was ready for a physical confrontation when he returned to the backstage area. He hoped to avoid a scuffle with anybody he offended and decided to exit the side of the stage instead of the usual entrance way. To Punk’s surprise, he found the whole area empty:

“When I got in the back, nobody anywhere,” he said. “Backstage is normally buzzing, people in the hallways. It was empty.”

Punk continued, “I remember looking around like, ‘Jeez, what’s going on’. And then I walked past the curtain through Gorilla and everybody in the company was jammed into the tunnel waiting to see me come through Gorilla, because they figured the same thing, they were like, ‘Ah man, this is gonna get real.’”

The storyline was among the first to blur the line between reality and kayfabe.

Revealing some interesting reactions to his promo, CM Punk mentioned how chef Robert Irvine was in the arena at the time who told him that the promo was amazing. He then detailed the weird reaction of Chris Masters:

“And then I saw Chris Masters and Chris Masters looks at me and goes, ‘Did you just hear what Punk said?’, and I was like, ‘Chris, it’s me’, and he was like, ‘Oh. Oh it is you! You’re gonna get fired dude’. And then I just walked up. It was a weird scene. I didn’t know it was gonna become as big as it did, but I knew just based off those reactions, I knew we had something."

The straight edge star went on to claim that he received texts from some ‘pretty lofty people in the business’ who he respected after the promo. So he knew that he did some good television. CM Punk delivered his pipebomb promo criticizing the WWE chairman Vince McMahon among others during the June 27, 2011 episode of Raw.

You can relive the iconic moment below:

F5GRlDHGB4A