PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio Reveals If He Regretted Losing His Mask in WCW

Kemo
10-10-2021, 03:01 PM
WWE Superstar and WCW legend Rey Mysterio recently appeared on Kurt Angle‘s The Kurt Angle Show podcast on AdFreeShows.com.

The former World Heavyweight Champion discussed several topics during his time on the show, including when he lost his mask in WCW and if he ever regrets that happening.

Mysterio confirmed a few years ago that Scott Hall was the one to say he should lose the mask and wrestle for World Championship Wrestling as a babyface without his face covered.

“It all started as a rumor for me to wrestle without the mask and, if I’m not mistaken, Scott Hall was the one that kept on saying ‘you gotta baby face’, ‘you’re a pretty mf’. He goes ‘you don’t need the mask, look that face sells’, so that began to get bigger and bigger and escalated up until Halloween Havoc in 1997 where Eric [Bischoff] had me thinking that I was going to lose the mask that night.”

Many agree that in hindsight it was not a great move by the company, but Rey Mysterio himself thinks it may have actually helped his career.

“I don’t think so, Kurt” Mysterio began when discussing losing his mask back in WCW. “I think when I lost the mask, the next night I faced Kevin Nash, and that’s when the giant killer [storyline] came up.

“Sometimes, I think to myself, if I wouldn’t have lost the mask, would I have had the push that I got against all these bigger guys?

“I don’t know. But because it happened, there was a positive side to it. And that’s when I started working with the bigger guys, which eventually opened up the doors for me in WWE.”

Smartmark
10-10-2021, 08:46 PM
I don't think Rey losing his mask in WCW hurt his image to be honest. The Mask is a symbol og Lucha Libre, and by removing the mask, it gave Rey the opportunity to for once (and only once) work without his mask, thus pulling off a gimmick that's opposite of what we get when he's " The Colibri" (Yes, because that's what's the birds on his masks actually are)

I just hope WWE manage to do it right when Rey one day retires. I think he should lose to Dominik on the grandest stage, then unmask (as he's never done that in WWE) then give it to Dominik, as a passing of the torch thing.