PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio Recalls Getting Paid With A Sandwich For His First Match

Kemo
01-28-2022, 06:51 PM
Rey Mysterio is one of the most recognizable stars in wrestling right now. Though his beginning in the business was very humble. The wrestling veteran wasn’t even paid in cash for his first wrestling match back in 1989.

The WWE 2K22 cover star was recently interviewed by Brandon Walker of Barstool Wrestling. During a discussion about Mysterio’s longevity in the business, he explained that he’s truly blessed to be still wrestling in 2022.

“So I was talking to Edge the other day in the locker room. He was saying, ‘Rey, you know, we’re the only two guys left that have been part of five decades of wrestling.’ I started in 89. So I was part of the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 10s, and 20s. Now, that’s amazing, man! I’m truly blessed to be able to be in this for this amount of time.”

When Walker showed his amazement at the fact that Rey Mysterio has been wrestling so long, the wrestling legend recalled his first match. He revealed that it took place in parking lot of a church and he was paid for it with a sandwich and a Coca Cola:

“That was my first match. I was 14 years old. Imagine that. It counts because I got paid. Not money, but I got a sandwich and a Coca-Cola. It was in front of maybe 80 fans outside of a church, in a parking lot church in Tijuana.”