PDA

View Full Version : WWE Told Trish Stratus Fans Don't Want to See Women Wrestle

Kemo
04-21-2023, 07:48 PM
WWE Hall of Famer Trish Stratus' arrival into the world of professional wrestling did not come easy for the Canadian icon.

After signing with the promotion in 1999, the former fitness model made her on-screen debut in early 2000 and would work as a manager before entering the ring full-time.

At Survivor Series 2001, Stratus won her first of seven Women's Championships and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2013.

When Stratus joined the WWE in 1999, the promotion's focus in women's wrestling was at an arguable all-time low.

Women at the time were seen as little more than sexual gratification for male audiences while alienating possible female fans.

Speaking on After the Bell, Stratus spoke about the 'trail-blazers' of the time given that there was no path for women to be taken seriously.

"There was no trail. Right now they have a trail that they get to make and make their own and make their turns and stuff like that. But for us there was nothing. There was literally nothing. So we had to create that. There was no interest from the fans, or backstage. I was told point blank, 'They don't want to see the women do that [wrestle.]' So okay, that was our first obstacle we had. We were told the fans don't want to see that. And the fans were not conditioned to see that.

"So we had the puppy chants and we had that stuff because that was what we'd been giving them. I knew what I was capable of and I had done the training. I knew that. I trained with all guys and I was the only girl in my [wrestling] school with Ron Hutcherson in Toronto. I was the only chick there. And they were treating me like a chick and I wanted to-- just treat me like one of the boys. And that's been my whole thing. Treating me like one of the boys. So we had to re-educate the fans and I knew I was capable of going in and doing it."

Trish Stratus grew up as a wrestling fan, but unlike many others who did just that, did not see herself as a future WWE Superstar.

In the interview, Stratus explained how given the lack of interest the wrestling industry had shown women's wrestling, she didn't envision being a Superstar one day.

"People say to me all the time, they say in interviews 'Did you always know you wanted to become a wrestler?' Well no, of course not. That was not an option back then. I didn't-- it was absolutely not an option. I could look at maybe Miss Elizabeth [as a manager.] I mean yes, there was Wendi Richter at one time and yes there was Chyna, but they were almost this entity on their own. [Graves suggests the word 'attractions.] Exactly! It was neat to see, but now we have made it a part of the world of wrestling. We have changed the pre-conceived notion of what a female can do."

Stratus' trail-blazing ways have been the catalyst for her recent heel turn as her character believes she has not been shown the proper respect for her efforts.

Stratus is expected to face Becky Lynch later this year.