PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bischoff Outlines Alternate Booking Idea For Goldberg In WCW

Kemo
05-22-2023, 01:30 AM
Pro wrestling veteran Eric Bischoff recently shared an alternate idea for booking the WCW legend Goldberg back in the day. The heavyweight had tallied an iconic 173-0 undefeated streak in WCW.

While it's arguably one of the greatest streaks in the pro wrestling industry, it received mixed opinions. Some have also criticized former WCW President Eric Bischoff for his failure to build any other stars during the timeframe, which coincided with WWE developing fresh faces during the peak of the Monday Night Wars.

On a recent episode of his 83 Weeks podcast, Bischoff recalled Slamboree 1998, where Goldberg extended his streak to 92-0 and retained his United States Championship against Perry Saturn.

It was a couple of months later that Goldberg would capture the WCW World Heavyweight Championship when he scored a victory over the pro wrestling icon, Hulk Hogan, who competed under his 'Hollywood Hogan' moniker.

As Bischoff reflected on the streak, given Goldberg's momentum, he detailed how he'd book the powerhouse if he could go back in time:

"Goldberg didn't need it [WCW World Heavyweight Championship]," Bischoff argued. "If I had a do-over on this one, I would have made Goldberg more of an attraction and used less of him, because I think the anticipation, mystique, and intensity that came with Bill Goldberg was something that you could tap into, at the right time and the right way.

"You could use it, and let it go away for a while," Bischoff continued. "Let it heat up again. Let the audience want to see Bill Goldberg, as opposed to what I did, which was feeling like, 'He's successful, we've got to get him out there.'"

In addition to this, Bischoff stated that he would have stretched out the latter part of Goldberg's career in WCW by having him wrestle and appear sporadically. He said:

"I would have played that out over an 18- to 24-month period, as opposed to the condensed trajectory that we had."

uOJxIIqM9l4

The WWE Hall of Famer hasn’t wrestled since the Elimination Chamber premium live event in February 2022, where he lost to Roman Reigns. Goldberg indicated that he was considering his own four-city retirement tour that would include a possible final match in Israel.

We will have to see when he decides to get back inside the squared circle.