PDA

View Full Version : Roxanne Perez Opens Up About Her 'Anxiety' Storyline In WWE NXT

Kemo
05-22-2023, 06:15 PM
r-FMT9gUE08

Following a successful title defense against Japanese legend Meiko Satomura at WWE NXT Roadblock, Roxanne Perez had a sudden collapse in the ring. As a result, Perez was stretchered out of the arena, and she was forced to vacate her NXT Women's Championship. It was later revealed that Perez's collapse stemmed from a mixture of physical exhaustion and crippling anxiety.

In wake of the revelation, Perez pleaded with the Senior Vice President of Talent Development Creative, Shawn Michaels, to let her confront her own anxiety. As such, Michaels granted Perez entrance into the ladder match as NXT Stand & Deliver to not only battle her anxiety head-on, but battle to regain NXT Women's Championship as well.

During a recent interview with Alistair McGeorge of Metro UK, Perez reflected on the anxiety-related storyline. Amidst the discussion, Perez explained how her previous mental health struggles shaped her desire to present them on on-screen.

"Mental health is so important to me in my family, I’ve struggled with it, some of my family have struggled with it. It’s always been easy for me to talk about it because my family’s made it okay for me to talk about it. I know that it’s not like that for everybody. It was really special for me to be able to talk about that. I kind of have been wanting to do it for a while, so for [WWE] to finally let me do it, it’s awesome."

Perez later confirmed that she presented the idea to WWE when she first arrived to the company last year. Eventually, they approved it.

"I’ve always wanted to bring mental health into wrestling somehow and never thought it was possible," Perez said. "It’s really cool to be able to change people’s lives. I feel like that’s the most important thing that I’ve always wanted to do. If I can be that voice that helps someone else know that they’re not alone, then that means the world to me."

Though Perez fell short at NXT Stand & Deliver, she has received another opportunity to reclaim the gold. Tomorrow, Perez faces Tiffany Stratton in the semi-finals of the NXT Women's Championship tournament.