PDA

View Full Version : John Cena Reveals The Scariest Moment Of His WWE Career

Kemo
05-22-2023, 06:19 PM
7qr-exbI-ag

John Cena is known as one of the greatest WWE Superstars of all time, but his illustrious career was almost derailed after a rocky stars.

Cena spoke with Sam Roberts last week for the NotSam Wrestling Podcast to promote his role in the new Fast X movie and got personal about what has scared him in WWE. He admits he has scary "I hope they remember me" moments every time he comes back to wrestle for WWE. Despite everything he's achieved, so he never knows how he'll be received by longtime fans, or if newer fans will know who he is. That's just something he deals with as a part-time legend.

The scariest moment of his WWE career came when WWE told him, "Hey, we're going to let you go" during his rookie year. Cena had wrestled as the heel Prototype character in Ohio Valley Wrestling. When he got called up to SmackDown in 2002, everything was stripped away from him and he was now one-dimensional babyface John Cena.

"So, you know, that started my career, the Ruthless Aggression Era that everyone now romanticizes, which we so often do with the past, like it was great. It sucked for me. I had no direction. I was asked to be a good guy when I got my experience as a bad guy. So I was asked to do something new. I lost my nickname, I had my real name. So, what is a John Cena? I don't know what that is."

4VlKd5T74kA

Twenty years later, Cena is able to look back and see that WWE actually did give him something to latch on to. "Ruthless Aggression" was enough of a concept that he could have built a character from it. He looks back and feels that he squandered that opportunity and almost lost his job because of it.

"I was too stupid to realize that, like, I could use the two words 'ruthless' and 'aggression' and create a personality. I wish.. I wish i could get that opportunity now, because I do a lot more with it. But I squandered it.

And in doing so, justifiably, so they started me with Kurt Angle, and then put me in a few matches with Chris Jericho, they gave me an opportunity, plenty of opportunity, there's my miss. And then I'm working, you know, Velocity, matches have no story or very little narrative, because they just need content. That's where you go to go on to your next endeavor.

And I was told, like, 'They make a winter and spring cuts and yeah, you're gonna be in the winter round, just letting you know." Then the European tour in the fall saved me. So that's my, that's my scariest moment."

As legend would have it, Stephanie McMahon overheard John Cena freestyle rapping on the WWE tour bus and his "Doctor of Thuganomics" character was born.

Cena says many WWE Superstars have left the company only to reinvent themselves and come back better than ever. Cena says he probably would not have gone that route. He would have been heartbroken and that would have been the end of his WWE career.