PDA

View Full Version : Seth Rollins Wasn't Told About the 'Heist of the Century' Until During WrestleMania 31

Kemo
06-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Seth Rollins' Money in the Bank cash-in came as a shock to fans and took Rollins himself by surprise.

After capturing the coveted briefcase in 2014, Rollins would successfully cash in at WrestleMania 31, becoming the first (and to date, only) Superstar to cash in at the Showcase of the Immortals. Rollins had already competed at WrestleMania 31, losing to Randy Orton in a match fondly remembered for Orton countering the stomp into an RKO.
The Heist of the Century

Rollins' championship win (dubbed the Heist of the Century) is still considered to this day as arguably the greatest Money in the Bank cash-in of all time. Speaking to Mark Andrews on his 'My Love Letter to Wrestling' podcast, Rollins discussed planning the spot.

"I had the idea to do the cash in couple months before WrestleMania. So probably January - December, I'm riding in the car with Cesaro - Claudio Castagnoli. We're booking the territory as we do. I've got these ideas and I'm running them by him and he's got his ideas. We're just trying to come up with some stuff and it seemed like a good idea but I had to find the right time to put the bug in somebody's ear. It really happened I think after Royal Rumble that year. I've had a very good match with Brock Lesnar and John Cena and was hoping to use that to catapult myself. Roman had won the Royal Rumble and had gotten a very tepid response I suppose. It’s the best way to put that.

"The writing just seemed like it was on the wall. Truth be told I thought it was a great opportunity to create a moment unlike any we’ve ever seen. I thought it was a great way to build myself but also to build Roman and give him somebody to chase. I just didn’t think the time was right. I didn't think the audience was ready for that victory. Fortunately for me, I think people saw that way as well.

"It was very secretive and I didn’t know about the ‘final final’ until like the day of. I had my match with Randy [Orton] early in the afternoon and I didn’t know what we’re going to do, no one told me anything about it until after that match. I didn’t really know anything until midway through the show that night. It was kept quite under wraps. Maybe a handful of people probably were aware of what was gonna go down that night."

Rollins went on to explain how he felt before cashing in and realizing his lifelong dream to become WWE World Champion.

“I was like outside my body. I couldn’t really comprehend what was about to happen. It was one of those, You know, in our industry, nothing happens until it happens. So kind of until my music hit, I was still convinced that they were gonna backtrack and go in a different direction. Thankfully it didn’t and everything came out about as perfect as you could want in a situation like that. I couldn’t even really anticipate anything until I actually was out there in the ring and it was going down.”

Rollins' first WWE World Championship reign would see him retain against the likes of Randy Orton, John Cena, Dean Ambrose, and Sting before an injury forced him to vacate the gold.
Money in the Bank 2023

Today, Rollins holds the World Heavyweight Championship, a title he captured at WWE Night of Champions 2023. In the interview, Seth was asked about who he wants to face at WWE Money in the Bank 2023 in London, England.

“Oh my god there are so many people. The RAW roster's so stacked right now. We’ve got guys like Cody, you’ve got Kevin, you’ve got Sami. I think Drew McIntyre [is] on the injured list at the moment right now. You’ve got Bronson Reed, Shinsuke Nakamura. The entire Judgement Day.

"You’ve got all four of them they’re just rockin' right now. I would love to beat the hell out of Dominik Mysterio in front of a rowdy London crowd. There’s lots of options on the table. We will see what happens and where it all shakes out.”

WWE Money in the Bank 2023 will take place on July 1, in London, England, the first MITB event ever to take place outside of the United States.