PDA

View Full Version : WWE Never Had Plans for A Jey Uso Win at SummerSlam

Kemo
08-09-2023, 08:03 PM
Any reports that Jey Uso could have left SummerSlam as the Undisputed WWE Universal Champion were wholly inaccurate, it has been claimed.

The 36th annual SummerSlam saw Uso challenge Roman Reigns in Tribal Combat, meaning that Reigns' title and status as Tribal Chief were on the line. Reigns would retain both by pinning Jey, moments after the latter was betrayed by the returning Jimmy Uso.

Given the deeply personal story between Jey and Reigns, one that arguably began in 2020, there had been speculation of a surprise title change. Speaking on McGuire on Wrestling, Dave Meltzer said that such a title change was never considered.

"I never even heard anyone discuss that as a possibility. I mean, obviously, they've already got whatever it is. They've got plans going for Roman as champion for months down the line, so Jey wasn't going to win."

Meltzer compared Jeys's situation to Sami Zayn's opportunity at Elimination Chamber, stating that WWE has long-term plans which don't include a title change.

Meltzer added that (in his view,) Reigns-Uso was the definitive main event of the show, with Cody Rhodes Vs. Brock Lesnar in second place and the World Heavyweight Championship match taking third.

On this week's SmackDown, Roman Reigns will be part of a 'Hail to the Chief' segment in which Jimmy Uso will acknowledge his cousin as Head of the Table. There is no word yet on Jey's involvement with the segment.

WWE has reportedly been discussing Jimmy Uso Vs. Jey Uso for WrestleMania 40, though some in the company believe the April 2024 show is too long to wait for the match to happen.

LionDen
08-10-2023, 08:54 AM
It would have shocked me to the core if Jey Uso had won at Summerslam or even if Priest had cashed in his MITB in the Reigns vs Uso match. lol