PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Angle Was Approached to Fight In UFC Multiple Times

Kemo
08-31-2023, 08:20 PM
Kurt Angle is one of the most legitimate athletes in pro wrestling, but the Olympian was approached multiple times to compete in the UFC.

Angle made his in-ring debut at WWF Survivor Series 1999 and would quickly rise through the ranks of the promotion. By the following year's event, Angle was WWF Champion and would become a six-time World Champion during his time with the promotion. After leaving WWE in 2006, Angle returned in 2017 to be inducted into that year's Hall of Fame.

Kurt Angle would never compete in the Octagon, but there were several times when it appeared a fight was possible. Not long after his gold medal victory at the Atlanta 1996 games, Kurt was approached about joining UFC, which was far from being the global box-office sensation it is today. Speaking to ESPN, Angle explained that the $150,00 offer was not feasible for him.

"I love fighting, but I don't love it that much to get my butt kicked for 15 grand. [laughs] So, I decided to go to WWE and when I got there, I had so much success."

After joining TNA Wrestling in 2006, Angle was again approached by the UFC, but a new contract with TNA nixed any plans of stepping into the Octagon.

"Dana White would not let me wrestle and fight at the same time. And I didn't want to go back to TNA and say, 'Listen, that contract I just signed is null and void.'"

The Olympian's third chance at UFC glory came in 2009, following the success of friend and WWE rival Brock Lesnar. There were plans for Angle to compete on 'The Ultimate Fighter' reality show in 2009, and would have earned $500,000 for the show.

A lucrative UFC contract was also promised to Angle, who was 41 at the time, but having dealt with five broken necks, Kurt recognized he wasn't going to be able to compete.

"I started training for it a little bit and I realized, 'I'm past my prime, I can't do this,.' So, I had to turn it down. But I'm very grateful for the offers Dana White gave me. He is an incredible person."

In 2011, White said that Angle wanted to fight in the UFC, but didn't pass the medical examinations. Angle's days of competition are truly over, with the Hall of Famer recently stating that he feels unable to make a return to wrestling.

LionDen
09-01-2023, 09:32 AM
I would have liked to have seen how Angle would have done in the UFC.