PDA

View Full Version : WWE Offered Maven A Chance to Return. He Said No & Still Regrets It

Kemo
10-07-2023, 10:04 PM
Former WWE Superstar Maven Huffman regrets not returning to the promotion when he was presented with the opportunity by the promotion.

In 2005, WWE parted ways with Maven after a four-year tenure with the promotion. Maven was the co-winner of the first season of Tough Enough and a three-time WWE Hardcore Champion but is perhaps best remembered for eliminating The Undertaker during the 2002 Royal Rumble Match.

In his latest YouTube video Maven recalled moving to Florida to work with the Homeshopping Network, a role that the ex-wrestler loved. At the time, HSN's studios were not far away from WWE's developmental ground FCW, and Maven was always made to feel welcome at shows.

"I was able to go to shows and we quickly found out that we, former guys, we were welcome there. So I was there at FCW on a Wednesday or a Thursday, I forget when they ran the shows and I ran into Pat Patterson. Pat was one of Vince's right-hand guys. Vince trusted Pat.

Pat asked me you know 'Maven, do you think of coming back any?” I told him, 'Yes I do think about coming back, I think about it almost every day.' But I was like 'Pat I'm worried about money, what if I leave my job? What if I leave the money that I know is coming in?

Pat told me right then and I should have listened to him. He said, “Maven you have the rest of your life to make money. Follow what you love.” I play if off. 'Okay, sure.' And didn’t think much of it."

While intrigued at the idea, Maven didn't put too much thought into a possible return until he was called by John Laurinaitis.

"A few weeks after that interaction I got my first call from Head of Talent Relations, Johhny Ace. And from that first phone call he was like 'Have you thought about coming back?' I told him what I told Pat. 'Yeah of course Johnny, I think about it all the time.' He said 'You have been gone long enough that if you come back now, you won’t be the Tough Enough kid anymore.' And he’s probably right."

Ultimately, Maven chose the safer route, sticking with the guaranteed money from his role with the Homeshopping Network over taking bumps on the road with WWE. Looking back, Maven said he should have taken the chance, acknowledging Patterson's comment about how he wouldn't have the opportunity to make money wrestling forever. Sure enough, Maven, now 46, said in the video that too much time has now passed for him to make a return.