PDA

View Full Version : Roman Reigns vs. The Rock WrestleMania 40 Match in Doubt Despite Fan Hopes

Kemo
10-20-2023, 08:31 PM
With WrestleMania 40 soon on the horizon, WWE fans have been buzzing with excitement about the prospect of a dream match between Roman Reigns and Hollywood megastar The Rock. This potential showdown, which was initially rumored for WrestleMania 39, has remained a topic of speculation.

Recently, an update about the match said that the match it not in the cards. In the latest report from Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, this is reiterated and expanded upon regarding The Rock's schedule.

Meltzer reported that WWE has not scheduled the Roman Reigns vs. The Rock match for WrestleMania 40 and doesn't operate under the assumption that it will happen. The uncertainty around this clash largely stems from The Rock's busy schedule and the fact that he declined a WrestleMania match in the past due to time constraints.

Meltzer noted, "Regarding the stories that WWE won’t do Rock vs. Reigns at Mania if Rock wants to do it, what we were told is this. If he wants the spot, I can’t believe WWE would turn him down, but after Johnson turned it down last year, nobody is going with the idea he’s going to do it this year."

While fans may be hopeful, it appears that WWE is cautious about planning a blockbuster encounter. The prevailing belief is that The Rock will have a packed schedule, especially once current writer strike in Hollywood are resolved.

Moreover, WWE reportedly has no plans for The Rock to capture the WWE Universal Title from Roman Reigns in this hypothetical match. Meltzer emphasized, "What we were told is that Rock is not going to come back and win the title. I’d never anticipate that would be an issue as if the match was to happen, I always figured Reigns to win and Rock then retiring in the ring."

The dream match remains tantalizing, but it's uncertain if it will ever become a reality.