PDA

View Full Version : Pat McAfee Claims WWE Didn't Give Him Heads-Up About Royal Rumble Match Entry

Kemo
01-29-2024, 06:53 PM
WWE fans saw several surprises during the 2024 Royal Rumble event. Pat McAfee returned to commentary, and he got a spot in the Rumble match. It appears that WWE sprung that match spot on him.

Pat McAfee's entrance music was the first that fans heard during the Royal Rumble. Michael Cole was also incredibly happy to call the event alongside his real-life friend. McAfee's night was only getting started as he added another big event to his WWE resume.

While speaking about his experience in a digital exclusive, McAfee said he couldn't pass up on the chance to return by the side of Cole and Graves when he was offered the commentary role for the evening.

"Yeah, coming back to get a chance to be in front of the WWE Universe is an absolute honor. I was told, 'Hey, Pat, you wanna come back and commentate?' I said, hell yes. The Royal Rumble, what an event. Stories can be written, where dreams can come true. 'You want to commentate?' I said, 'Hell yeah,' work with Michael Cole, the greatest of all time, alongside Corey Graves with a fresh baby, fresh mindset, fresh haircut. I said, 'I would love to do that.'"

44btA7GrEeU

When it comes to his Royal Rumble match appearance, McAfee said that he had no idea that he was going to be in the match. Although Pat wasn't dressed for the occasion, he went with the flow of things, and that included a very brief appearance in the match.

"All of a sudden, what, 22, I'm in the Royal Rumble? Nobody gave me a heads-up about that. Got my cowboy boots on. Michael Cole let me go in there. That was rude of him. I thought we were friends. Then there was a thing in there. Seven foot three, okay? You're just looking up at a statue of a being."

"I see little Bron Breakker go like barking at me. I'm like, I'm not supposed to be in here. Why would I be in here right now? I'm not prepared for this. Also, who would I be to take a main event at WrestleMania spot away from somebody? So I got my ass out of there. Now I went back in because I thought to myself, wait a minute, am I just gonna be a coward? "I realized quickly, 'Yeah, I think tonight I am.' I went right back to the booth. And it was great. It was a great show,"

Pat McAfee may be busy with his ESPN gig, but he wouldn't miss the Royal Rumble event. He was able to call the entire show, and he even returned to the commentary table after his short stint in the 2024 Royal Rumble match.