PDA

View Full Version : Backlash Over Cody Rhodes Losing WrestleMania Spot To The Rock Will Not Change WWE's New Plan

Kemo
02-05-2024, 06:21 PM
The Rock showed up during the February 2nd episode of WWE SmackDown, and the backlash has been considerable. The YouTube video of the segment, although it has now topped 4 million views, is also the most disliked video in the history of their YouTube channel. Now, another notable name has joined the crusade. That won't change their plan, because Dwayne Johnson is back to get his match at WrestleMania against Roman Reigns.

Fans were not happy about The Rock taking Cody Rhodes spot, no matter how WWE booked it. That moment in the ring where Cody and Rock shook hands has been analyzed by many, and few have drawn a positive conclusion.

Hashtags started and fans cried out for The Rock to give that match back, one that Rhodes earned after winning his second Royal Rumble match in a row. That hasn't happened, but it's not because of lack of support.

Sean Ross Sapp reported on Fightful Select that there was a sense of shock backstage when The Rock showed up to take Cody Rhodes' WrestleMania spot. There was also a hope that fan backlash might sway WWE's decision for The Rock vs Roman Reigns at WrestleMania. Sadly, that is not happening and WWE is continuing with their plan.

Comedian Gabriel Iglesias is a super-fan, and he's been spotted at WWE and AEW shows. He loves pro wrestling, and it appears he is also a member of the Nightmare Family.

The famously Fluffy comedian posted on Twitter/X to drop a photo of himself with Cody Rhodes. Along with this photo, he included a very simple message that he wanted fans to retweet.

#WeWantCody was the message, and he also included three clapping hands emojis for good measure.

For what it's worth, I asked around about this situation with The Rock. I was told that this is a complete "power play" on Dwayne Johnson's behalf. Upon asking if this situation is like when he tried to muscle his way into the DC Cinematic Universe with Black Adam, I was told that is a "great analogy."

When asking if the fan backlash is noticed within the company, that was also confirmed. It's impossible to ignore at this point, as USA Today, TMZ and more have already run headlines about how fans are upset about The Rock taking Cody Rhodes' spot on the show of shows.

I was also able to confirm that Brian Gewirtz was brought back to the company, but only to work on The Rock's things. He was a head writer for WWE until Rock took him to work at Seven Bucks Productions, where he is currently the SVP of Development.

After asking if any of this fan backlash will change these prospective WrestleMania plans, I was told, "there's no chance in hell." Yes, that was the exact wording used. No, Vince McMahon is not involved in this picture at all, but The Rock is definitely flexing in a huge way.

Seth Rollins vs Cody Rhodes is the new match, something that was booked after CM Punk was taken out of action with an injury during the Rumble match. Now, fans have a much different WrestleMania 40 ahead, and they have yet to warm up to the idea.