PDA

View Full Version : Becky Lynch Says WWE Rejected Her Request to Lose The Raw Women's Title in 2020

Kemo
03-04-2024, 04:01 AM
Becky Lynch was eager to lose the Raw Women's Championship to a rising Superstar in 2020 until WWE made it clear that wasn't going to happen.

In early 2020, Lynch feuded with Shayna Baszler over the championship which Lynch had won at WrestleMania 35 the previous year. Baszler's infamous debut on Raw saw her bite the neck of Lynch in a gruesome moment that immediately went viral at the time.

-padzHwu7ks

Following Baszler's shocking debut on Raw, WWE continued to build momentum for her. That year, Baszler won the Women's Elimination Chamber match to earn a title match with Lynch, and in a display of dominance, eliminated everyone else inside the Chamber structure.

Despite being built up to be a genuine threat to Lynch, Baszler lost in their title match at WrestleMania 36. In an excerpt from her upcoming memoir The Man, Lynch explained that she asked WWE to let her lose the title to the Queen of Spades.

"I had recommended that she take the title from me at WrestleMania... I had been a babyface champion for so long and could feel the audience beginning to turn on me. I had gone from underdog to top dog and such a situation can't overstay its welcome."

Lynch was confident that losing the title to Baszler at WrestleMania 36 was the right call but WWE disagreed with that idea.

"We needed to make more female contenders and what better way to do that than having them win the title on the grandest stage of them all? Everyone wins. Except me, whose request was denied. I wanted to lose, but I would actually win, so it was a loss... Sigh. Wrestling is confusing."

Within weeks of her unwanted win over Baszler, Lynch vacated the Raw Women's Title due to her pregnancy. Asuka would be awarded the title 24 hours after her victory in the Women's Money in the Bank Ladder match. While Baszler would capture the Women's Tag Team Championships with Nia Jax that same year, she's still yet to get a singles Women's title win on the main roster.