View Full Version : Triple H Adopts Fresh WWE Commentary Approach, Distinct from Vince McMahon's Tactics

Kemo
03-07-2024, 05:41 AM
Vince McMahon's aggressive control of WWE programming was infamous during his time as Chairman of the Board. Now that he's gone, things are very different.

Triple H is now in control of WWE's programming. As Chief Content Officer, he has also decided not to berate his announcers with constant directions. Corey Graves can attest to this fact, because he lived through the transition and is very much enjoying The Game's time in charge.

Corey Graves is a prominent figure in WWE, particularly as part of Friday Night SmackDown's commentary team. He remembers the days when Vince McMahon was in his ear all night, commanding him to hit certain lines on commentary. That is not the case anymore.

With experience both as a wrestler and announcer in NXT, WWE's developmental brand overseen by Triple H, Graves expressed gratitude for the opportunities provided by Paul "Triple H" Levesque. He sees the King of Kings are one of the primary reasons he was so successful in the company.

While speaking to Short and to the Point podcast, Graves highlighted Triple H's supportive approach and acknowledged the creative freedom afforded to announcers under his leadership.

“Triple H is another guy I owe a great deal, if not everything in my career, to. He was the one that took a chance on me as a wrestler in NXT. If I need something, I’ve never hesitated to go to him and ask. He’s cool and refreshing in the sense that he gives us [announcers] space.”

Graves continued to explained that Triple H recognizes the importance of allowing announcers to express themselves authentically as fans.

"Instead of being directed to adhere to specific instructions or language, Triple H understands that we're all fans. As the industry progresses, you have to loosen the reins a bit. I still have boundaries, but they feel more flexible now."

In contrast to Vince McMahon's notorious habit of shouting at announcers through their headsets, Triple H doesn't take that tactic at all. Instead, The Game has a much more cerebral approach to things.

"I've been on TV for seven years between RAW and SmackDown. In the last few months, communication through my headset has been exceptionally quiet and clear. I only receive feedback if I'm making a significant mistake or if a joke lands. If I say something that resonates, he'll build on it or enhance the joke in my headset."

_r_ByQemMD4

Vince McMahon initially retired from WWE in 2022, amid allegations of sexual misconduct. At the time, WWE announced a special committee would investigate McMahon. However, his retirement didn't last long, and he returned to the company to help usher in a sale/merger era for the company.

McMahon made creative adjustments remotely for a long time during that period. The whole time Triple H was still acting COO of the company.

That misconduct for Mr. McMahon was later detailed in gruesome ways with Janel Grant's earth-shattering lawsuit. After Slim Jim pulled their sponsorship right before the Royal Rumble, Vince had no choice but to totally resign from the company.

In more recent memory, Vince announced his intention to sell over $400 million in TKO stock, leaving him with around 8% of the company in his control, which is not enough to secure his place back in the company once again if he ever tried another return.