PDA

View Full Version : Henry stays on Barca wanted list

Dark Drakan
02-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Barcelona have put themselves at the head of the queue if Thierry Henry decides to leave Arsenal.

Barca vice-president Ferran Soriano said the Catalans would react quickly if Henry rejects the Gunners' new contract offer.

"Henry's an amazing player, anyone would want him, including ourselves," Soriano told BBC Radio Five Live.

"If one day he became available we would talk, but not now as he has a club and a contract."

But Soriano tried to distance himself from speculation suggesting Barcelona are poised to move for Henry.

"There are lots of rumours in this industry. There were rumours in the UK that we were going to sell Samuel Eto'o to Chelsea," he said.

"But we're quite happy with the players we have got."

I hope the quality our young team has shown will persuade Thierry to stay
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger

However, Arsene Wenger hopes Arsenal's historic 1-0 Champions League victory against Real Madrid could persuade Henry to pledge his future to the Gunners.

Henry's goal made Arsenal the first British side to win in the Bernabeu.

"I hope the quality that our young team has shown will persuade Thierry to stay," said the Arsenal boss.

"I think this will help convince him he has a future here because the young boys have shown they can produce the results he wants."

Wenger also believes Arsenal had answered their critics with an outstanding performance after their recent Premiership struggles.

"We needed big nights from Henry, Kolo Toure and Gilberto Silva but the young players did well. There was not a single player who wasn't outstanding," he said.

"We started well and that may have made Real insecure. I'm happy in every department.

"In fact, my only regret, if there is one, is that we did not add one or two more goals."

But Wenger warned against complacency after the shock win, saying: "I still think they will turn up and give everything, to sit on our lead at Highbury would be a major mistake."

Match-winner Henry added: "You see that as soon as Arsenal is not scared to play, we can play good football.

"We have only won one game. We are not there yet so we have to stay calm and focus.

"In some games recently we have been kicking the ball up front for no reason. Here we played football. We were tremendous at the back - amazing."

Real coach Juan Ramon Lopez Caro admitted Arsenal were worthy winners and said: "We suffered an important setback out there, but they played a great game.

"We never really managed to find any clarity or precision in midfield and didn't show our usual personality.

"It certainly wasn't our best performance, but we still have got a chance of getting through."

SOURCE - BBC SPORT

OMEN
02-26-2006, 10:40 PM
This summer i think that it will be hard for arsenal to hang on to Thierry Henry especially if they do not finish well amd gaurentee a place in European competitions for next year.
Barcelona are not the only team after the brilliant Frenchman,real madrid and several big Italian clubs are also interested in luring him away from Highbury.