PDA

View Full Version : Steve Irwin: South Park outrage

Black Widow
11-01-2006, 10:55 AM
South Park' creators have outraged fans of the late Steve Irwin by poking fun at his death.

The latest episode of the satiric sketch, entitled 'Hell On Earth 2006', shows the 'Crocodile Hunter' attending a fancy dress party in Hell - along with the late Princess Diana and Hitler - with a stingray poking out of his bleeding chest. Irwin is then kicked out of the party by the Devil because he isn't in fancy dress.

The scenes have sparked outrage among fans and media regulators because they appear to ridicule the wildlife expert's shocking death in September, when a stingray's barb pierced his chest while he was snorkelling near the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

British broadcasting watchdog Mediawatch branded the episode "grossly insensitive".

Mediawatch director, John Beyer, said: "This is bad taste. Steve Irwin's family is still grieving. To lampoon somebody's death like this is unacceptable."

'South Park' makers Comedy Central have defended the controversial episode, saying it is no different from their usual work.

A spokesman said: "It has offended people in the past and probably will again. Regular watchers would not be shocked."

(C) BANG Media International

i hate south park for this :sad:

scorpionf
11-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I've always hated South Park... But showing something like that shows what real heartless scum the writers/producers are

Kyal_Cena
11-01-2006, 04:42 PM
It is fucked up

papabuffalo
11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't much care for South Park either. I did once upon a time, but it got old way too fast and now it's just kinda dumb (except the World of Warcraft episode...that one was great).

Even though I don't like South Park, I do have to say that whoever was the spokesperson was only almost right. Yes, South Park has made many people mad before and this is (almost) no different that anything else they've done, but as far as I remember from any of them I've seen, they've never brought something like this out this soon after the even itself.

Seeing this, though, doesn't really change my opinon of the show...I still don't like it, but I don't hate it any more than I did before....