PDA

View Full Version : Complete Analysis And Stats Of Mayweather Vs Baldomir!

Just KC
11-05-2006, 08:06 AM
LAS VEGAS – Floyd Mayweather Jr. won universal recognition as the welterweight champion of the world by picking up Carlos Baldimir’s WBC 147-pound title after thoroughly out-boxing the tough but limited Argentine over 12 generally uneventful rounds Saturday night.

Mayweather, who improved his undefeated record to 37-0 (24), pitched a near shut-out, winning by official scores of 120-108 (twice) and 118-110. Most of the ringside press scored the bout 12 rounds to zip in favor of the new champion.

It wasn’t a hard bout to score as the plodding and painfully slow former champ was unable to mount an effective attack in any round. In fact, Baldomir, who dropped to 43-10-6 (13), wasn’t able to land more than three or four clean punches throughout the entire fight. The best shots that Baldomir landed were caught by Mayweather’s gloves, forearms, and shoulders, and the rugged road warrior paid the price for this limited offense as Mayweather punished him with counter uppercuts on the inside.

When the fight was contested from the outside, Mayweather controlled the distance and the pace, easily landing accurate jabs, lead left hooks and ultra-quick lead right hands. One of those lead rights that Mayweather bounced off of Baldomir’s enormous head injured that hand, the new champion said after the fight.

“I hurt my right hand in the middle of the fight, maybe around the sixth round,” Mayweather said. “I thought I’d be able to knock him out but he was pretty resilient and he fought with a lot of heart.”

Baldomir’s heart wasn’t the only attribute that some believed would test Mayweather tonight. The former journeyman, who upset both Zab Judah (to win the title) and Arturo Gatti in their hometowns earlier this year, was touted as the biggest and strongest opponent of Mayweather’s stellar 10-year career. However, the Argentine’s lack of speed, footwork, technique and basic athletic talent made the extra pounds he carried into the fight moot.

Baldomir, to his credit, admitted his ineffectiveness after the fight.

“I didn’t fight my fight,” said Baldomir, who landed in single digits in 11 of the 12 rounds, according to CompuBox. “I didn’t feel strong when I caught up to him. I felt sluggish. He was too fast.”

Mayweather was also too sharp, too mobile, too technically sound and too smart for Baldomir’s heart and physical strength to ever become a factor in the fight, which gradually became target practice for the four-division champ over the second half of the bout, eliciting scattered boos from the announced crowd of 9,427. Some fans began to leave the Mandalay Bay’s Event Center after the 10th and 11th rounds, seeing the writing on the wall.

When HBO’s Larry Merchant brought this up to Mayweather in their post-fight interview, the man many say is the best fighter in the world, pound for pound, got upset.

“You never give me the credit I deserve,” Mayweather told Merchant. “I pitched a shut out tonight.”

Most fans who witnessed tonight’s bout, which was broadcast by HBO Pay Per View, want to forget about it and look forward to bigger, better, and hopefully more entertaining fights involving Mayweather. Oscar De La Hoya is who the subscription cable network and most of the media want to see Mayweather take on. It’s also the primary fight on Mayweather’s personal hit list.

“I think De La Hoya will get in the ring with me after tonight,” he said of the prospect of meeting The Golden Boy next year. “He knows how to get in touch with me if wants it, and if De La Hoya really wants to fight me, I’ll tax that ass, too.”

In the co-featured bout of the eveing, Mexico’s Orlando Salido scored a minor upset by winning the IBF featherweight title from Robert Guerrero, out-working and out-boxing the highly touted Californian to a unanimous decision.

Salido, who won by scores of 115-113, 117-111, and 118-110, battled on even terms with Guerrero during the first half of the bout, but the 25-year-old veteran who has nine losses on his record pulled away from the favored title holder in the late rounds with deft footwork and clean, hard counter punches.

Guerrero, who fell to 19-2-1 (12), wanted to make the bout a mauling inside fight from the opening round, but he quickly learned that Salido was able and more than willing to trade with him in close quarters, and many times during the fight the Mexican spoiler out-worked the taller, rangier southpaw.

Salido, who improved to 28-9-2 (18), was able to land crisp right hands throughout the grueling fight and he hurt the 23-year-old titlist with a cross-hook combination in the eighth round and late in the tenth. To his credit, Guerrero never stopped trying to impose his will on Salido, but the challenger was too tough, too smart and too experienced for sheer size to overwhelm him.

_________________________ _________________________ _________________________ _________________________
Lederman scores the 12th for CB and finishes with a 119-109 score as well.

official decision

120-108
120-108
118-110

Floyd Mayweather by Unanimous Decision

total punches:
CB- 79/670 @ 12%
FMJ- 199/458 @ 43%

power punches:

CB- 67/562 @ 12%
FMJ- 131/258 @ 51%

_________________________ _________________________ _______________

YES YES YES 37-0-0 with 24 knockouts Prett Boy Floyd the best boxer in boxing today

I would like to say that it is UTTER BULLSHIT that people are ragging on him for not ''pleasing'' the crowd. they say that he cant get bigger fights because he dosent play into the crowd. thats fucking bullshit. look what happened to Gatti when he fought Baldomir, he got KTFO for playing into the crowd and started brawling with the big man. Gatti was a AWESOME ENTERTAINER but that did absolutly nothing for him against Floyd when all their fight is remember for is Mayweather absolutly dominating gatti. So i guess you must be a crowd favorite to be the #1 boxer to ever live. i guess you must have to have a death wish to be the #1 boxer. If floyd stood in front of Baldomir FOR ONE SECOND he could have lost that fight. please people listen to Floyd when he speaks just because he dosent go out there and have a death wish and stand in front of the most POWERFUL fucking welterweight there is dosent mean he is the greatest there ever lived. Baldomir was the TRUE welterweight champion of the world and failed to win a SINGLE round on Floyd and now what does that tell you? The commentators are so stupid to say that he is outclassed by sugar ray robinson because robinson won a fight while he took a fucking brutal beating. while Floyd just dominates and dominates and dominates. it makes no sense and quite frankly it pissed me off

Pretty Boy Floyd Mayweather now the welterweight champion of the world greatest boxer that has ever lived may now take his seat on his thrown once again