PDA

View Full Version : Pistons cruise past Cavs 90-78; rematch Monday night

OMEN
02-27-2006, 03:40 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/basketball/nba/02/26/bc.bkn.cavaliers.pistons.ap/p1_ben-getty.jpg
Ben Wallace had 11 points and 19 rebounds as the Pistons won their fifth straight overall.
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Ben Wallace doesn't get MVP consideration or hit dramatic shots like his All-Star teammates.

But none of the Detroit Pistons have any doubt about which player is at the heart of their 46-9 start.

Sunday, Wallace had 11 points and 19 rebounds as the Pistons beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 90-78.

"They might as well take the Defensive Player of the Year award and send it to Ben," Pistons coach Flip Saunders said. "He's been on a mission in the last three weeks, and when you look at all of the things he's doing -- rebounding, blocking shots and making steals -- he's been phenomenal."

Detroit never trailed, and led by at least 10 points for most of the second half. The teams play again Monday night in Cleveland.

"They did a great job taking us out of our offense," Cavs coach Mike Brown said. "There is no way you can win on the road with 20 turnovers, especially against a team like this."

The Pistons have won five straight overall and 12 in a row at the Palace, while Cleveland lost its third in a row to fall 141/2 games behind Detroit in the Central Division.

Billups led the Pistons with 21 points while Richard Hamilton added 18 and Rasheed Wallace had 15.

LeBron James had 22 points, nine rebounds and seven assists for the Cavaliers and Zydrunas Ilgauskas added 15 points and nine rebounds.

James got kicked in the shin late in the third quarter, causing a noticeable limp, but he wasn't worried about the injury.

"I'm going to ice it down and be ready for tomorrow," he said.

Ilgauskas missed most of the first quarter after needing five stitches to close a head wound caused by Rasheed Wallace's elbow. Ilgauskas felt Wallace was getting revenge for an incident moments earlier.

"I think he was frustrated because I caught him first with an elbow and then he hit me back," he said. "Mine wasn't intentional. His, I haven't seen the replay."

Wallace, who was called for a flagrant foul, hit Ilgauskas in the top of the head as the Lithuanian drove for a layup.

"I'm not going to start the game by cracking a cat in the skull if I don't get elbowed first," he said.

Both teams struggled offensively in the first half -- Cleveland shot 33 percent from the floor and the Pistons missed 10 of 11 3-point attempts -- but Billups and Hamilton combined for 24 points to put Detroit up 44-33.

The Pistons expanded their lead to 56-37 on a Tayshaun Prince 3-pointer early in the third, and led 67-52 by the end of the quarter.

Saunders has been trying to get Ben Wallace more touches on the offensive end. The results have been mixed -- he shot airballs on two mid-range jumpers Sunday -- but it has been important to Wallace.

"I at least want to make the other guys guard me," he said. "I know that when I'm getting involved on offense, it gives me more confidence and energy."

Wallace's efforts don't go unnoticed by the opposition, either.

"Ben is quick, athletic, strong, tenacious and hungry -- the whole nine yards," Brown said. "He makes it tough because you are afraid to drive the basketball when you know he's back there."

Notes: Prince and both head coaches picked up first-half technical fouls for arguing calls. ... Pistons rookie Alex Acker scored his first career points on a basket in the last minute of the game. ... Detroit announced after the game that rookie Amir Johnson would report to the NBDL on Monday. ... Cleveland's three-game losing streak is its longest since a six-game slide in late January.

Associated Press.

digitalv
02-28-2006, 12:58 AM
better be scared of this Detroit team, got the best starting 5 in the NBA easily and their strong play can't be overlooked. prolly wont end up with the best record at the end of the regular season but playoffs is the only thing that counts and if Detroit gets homecourt advantage could be the beginning of the end for some.