PDA

View Full Version : Pennington restructures contract, will stay with Jets

OMEN
03-06-2006, 10:21 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/football/nfl/03/05/jets.pennington.ap/Pennington-3.5.jpg
Chad Pennington would have counted as much as $12 million against the salary cap before restructuring his deal
NW YORK (AP) -- Chad Pennington finally resolved his contract with the Jets. That might have been the easy part for the often-injured quarterback compared to what looms ahead.

Pennington agreed to a restructured deal Sunday after weeks of talks, a move that provides salary-cap relief while giving him a guaranteed $3 million in 2006 with $6 million in playing time bonuses. But there are no guarantees Pennington will keep his starting quarterback job as he continues to rehab his right shoulder.

The Jets will likely bring in a veteran or draft a quarterback to provide competition. Plus, the Jets have a new coach in Eric Mangini. Pennington knows all that. He also knows returning to New York gave him the best opportunity to be a starter because he has undergone rotator cuff surgery on his throwing shoulder twice in the last year.

"I definitely thought coming back to New York would give me a really good chance to be a starter," Pennington said on a conference call. "Whatever coach decides I'm comfortable with. I want to be on the field. I feel like the Jets can give me the best opportunity to be on the field."

The Jets made two other moves Sunday as the deadline for free agency approached. They extended the contract of offensive lineman Pete Kendall and cut 35-year-old center Kevin Mawae, a longtime fixture in their line.

Pennington would have counted as much as $12 million against the salary cap and the team had been working on ways to keep him even though his injuries have put his future in question.

"Our intention all along was to have Chad remain with the Jets and we never wavered from that," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said. "Chad is a courageous and talented leader. Throughout this process, he put the interests of the team ahead of his own, enabling us to reach an agreement on terms beneficial to both parties."

Pennington started throwing Wednesday for the first time since surgery in October and expects to be ready for minicamp. Though he prepared himself for the thought of never playing for the Jets again, New York is where Pennington feels he belongs.

"In the bottom of my heart I felt New York was the place to be," Pennington said. "I was just hoping we would come to an agreement where both sides would be committed and share the risks."

Pennington said he hasn't spoken with Mangini yet about his prospects for keeping the starting job but said, "If they did not think I'd be the starting quarterback, I don't think they'd want to renegotiate at all."

"I think that coach wants me to lead this team if at all possible," he added. "As a coach he has to make the final decision, he has to feel in his heart if he can believe in me and have no doubt I can help our team win. A lot of that has to do with my health. He's played against me, coached against me, defended me. He knows what type of player I am."

Kendall signed with the Jets as a free agent in August 2004 and has started all 32 regular-season games the past two seasons. He most likely will take over at center, after switching there from guard when Mawae got hurt last season.

"In 2005, he displayed the versatility that we knew he possessed when he signed with the Jets," Tannenbaum said. "His leadership skills and high level of play provide us flexibility along the interior of the offensive line."

Mawae was lost for the season -- his eighth with the Jets -- after tearing his left triceps in Week 6 against Buffalo. The six-time Pro Bowl selection had started 177 straight games. He came to New York in March 1998 following his first four seasons with Seattle.

Mawae's release had more to do with wanting to move in a different direction than money. The move will save the Jets only about $1.1 million against the salary cap.

Associated Press.